Sometimes a fella just can’t catch a break. This time the fella is me. Last week I wrote about how I had ordered some Christmas cards from the National Gallery in London, featuring paintings of snow scenes in England and France. My wife, Jenny, didn’t think much of the idea because it snows very little […]
About Wayne MitchellPublisher of the New Albany Gazette
Author Archive | Wayne Mitchell
Well, it’s that time again. It’s the annual discussion (or is it an argument?) when I mention it is time to write the family Christmas letter. Each year Jenny suggests that we should stop writing a Christmas letter to include with holiday cards. She thinks most Christmas letters are little more than bragging and that […]
The Parks Chevrolet-Buick-GMC car dealership in New Albany was sold Monday to Joe Marshall, owner of Barnes Crossing Hyundai-Mazda in Tupelo. The sale marks the end of 95 years of ownership by the Parks family. Parks Chevrolet was the oldest dealership in the state owned by one family and among the oldest in the nation. […]
My wife Jenny is ready for some home cooking. She says she had enough, maybe one too many, restaurant meals on our Thanksgiving holiday trip to visit my sister and her husband in Kansas City. In last week’s column, I wrote about how much I resisted eating food that came from strangers’ kitchens. I didn’t […]
Reporter Angie Barmer was telling me about her interview for a story on how making jewelry as a hobby turned into a business for a couple of local people. She related how Al Stanford was a residential contractor for 20 years, but when the recession hit in 2008, his business faltered. One day he started […]
How do I get that woman to talk to me?” was the question. Jenny’s father was on the phone from her parents’ home in northern Kentucky and he thought Jenny would know the answer. “That woman” was Siri, the often annoying “assistant” that had fascinated him a year ago when Jenny demonstrated the voice-recognition feature […]
My stocking cap was pulled down over my ears and my winter quilted bubble coat was zipped up tight against the howling wind. Jenny was bundled up in a hooded sweatshirt with a jacket over that. We were sitting in lawn chairs out on our driveway, handing out candy to trick-or-treaters. “Why does it have […]
I fell down some steps Friday, got skinned up and bloodied my knee. It’s the internet’s fault. At least that’s where I’m placing the blame. It all started a couple of months ago when we got an invitation to a wedding shower for one of Jenny’s good friends who is a teacher. Jenny decided she […]
If you love watching sports, and I do, the past three weeks have been the most exciting in nearly 30 years. No, I’m not talking about the rise of Mississippi State and Ole Miss to the top echelon of the college football polls. That’s been pretty exciting, too, for long-time fans of those two schools […]
Author Thomas Wolfe once wrote a novel, claiming, You Can’t Go Home Again. He was wrong. That’s what I did. Well, sort of. I went back to central Missouri a week ago, to Columbia where I attended college at the University of Missouri in the 1960s. I hadn’t been there in many years and didn’t […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...