It seemed like a simple task. My wife asked me to call the phone company and order phone service at her mother’s new apartment in New Albany. “No problem; I’ll call today. She’ll probably have service by tomorrow,” I said. Boy, was I wrong.Things didn’t go well from the very first call. A pleasant, but […]
About Wayne MitchellPublisher of the New Albany Gazette
Author Archive | Wayne Mitchell
I stepped down from the cab of the rental truck at the convenience store in Florence, Ala. We had only been on the road for two hours in the bumpy 15-foot truck, but I needed a Diet Coke. I reached into my pocket, but my wallet wasn’t there. “Do you have my wallet in your […]
This column originally appeared May 18, 2011, in the Gazette. It sounded pretty simple the first time we talked about it: Plan a week’s vacation to Florida. But it’s been anything but simple. It all started when my sister Donna and her husband Homer said they planned to spend two weeks this summer in Florida, […]
This column originally appeared in the March 3, 2011, Gazette. My wife says I’m a brand snob. I insist on buying a brand-name item even though a no-name brand may be just as good, and less expensive, she says. I plead guilty, I guess, although not as guilty as I used to be. I would […]
Jimmy Robert has taken a liking to my car. He’s a little like a distant relative that shows up for a visit and decides to stay. The problem is Jimmy Robert is a spider. It’s an odd story, but fortunately I’ve got some space here in the paper to tell you about it. The story […]
Our next-door neighbors painted their house a new color this past weekend. Lane and Tracy Cavender, with the help of a friend with a paint sprayer, brightened up the house with a lighter color that gave it a fresh look. Painting the house follows a summer in which they have redone the landscaping and generally […]
This column originally appeared in the Gazette in February 2011. The birds are chirping around our house. There are a lot of sounds – from mourning doves to cardinals and wrens to orioles. Unfortunately, most of it is coming from inside the house. It’s my wife’s bird clock, which, instead of chiming, makes the sound […]
It’s football time again in northeast Mississippi. It sort of slipped up on me this year because my mind as been focused on baseball. Not just any baseball team, either. My long-suffering Kansas City Royals are in first place in the American League Central Division. After playing in the World Series last year in what […]
The sweat was beaded up on my wife’s face and she clearly was not happy. We were less than two hours into a nine-hour car trip to visit her mother in northern Kentucky and Jenny was really hot. The temperature was in the low 90s and the car’s air conditioning had stopped producing cold air. […]
This column originally appeared in the Oct. 27, 2010 Gazette. The weekend turned out all right, I suppose. At least I wasn’t too tired to get up and go to work Monday. Based on my experience with air travel in recent years, it could have been otherwise. It all started several months ago when a […]
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...