Well, it’s that time of year when I am reminded of how little I remember about what I learned in school. It’s the week when some of us are trying to remember our Roman numerals. Why Roman numerals, you ask? Because we’re inundated with stories and ads in newspapers and magazines and on television that […]
About Wayne MitchellPublisher of the New Albany Gazette
Author Archive | Wayne Mitchell
They were stacked on the buffet in the dining room. They were stacked on the dresser and the bedside tables in the bedroom. And they were stacked in the home office. Parts of the house were beginning to look a little like one of those TV shows about hoarders and hoarding. You know – the […]
My wife Jenny was a little pessimistic when she heard what I wanted for Christmas. She suggested I would get it and then resist spending the time required to learn to use it. I had asked her for a new computer. Not just any computer, but one of those Microsoft Surface Pro 3s that claims […]
Gazette reporter Angie Barmer was showing off the present she got for Christmas. It looked like one of those new computer tablets that keep getting smaller and smaller. Turns out I was wrong. It was a phone. And have you noticed they keep getting bigger and bigger? Angie got an iPhone 6 Plus. Apparently the […]
This column is reprinted from the Jan. 6, 2010, issue of the Gazette. Maybe the carmakers are onto something with those new individual climate controls. You know the ones—the driver’s side can be set at 72 degrees and the passenger side at a nippy 68. We have one car with controls like that, my wife’s […]
Just last month, I was telling a friend about how much time and stamp money she would save if she started paying her bills online through the bank. “Once you’ve entered the places you send monthly bills, it’s really simple. Just type in the amount and the date you want the bill to be paid […]
Sometimes a fella just can’t catch a break. This time the fella is me. Last week I wrote about how I had ordered some Christmas cards from the National Gallery in London, featuring paintings of snow scenes in England and France. My wife, Jenny, didn’t think much of the idea because it snows very little […]
Well, it’s that time again. It’s the annual discussion (or is it an argument?) when I mention it is time to write the family Christmas letter. Each year Jenny suggests that we should stop writing a Christmas letter to include with holiday cards. She thinks most Christmas letters are little more than bragging and that […]
The Parks Chevrolet-Buick-GMC car dealership in New Albany was sold Monday to Joe Marshall, owner of Barnes Crossing Hyundai-Mazda in Tupelo. The sale marks the end of 95 years of ownership by the Parks family. Parks Chevrolet was the oldest dealership in the state owned by one family and among the oldest in the nation. […]
My wife Jenny is ready for some home cooking. She says she had enough, maybe one too many, restaurant meals on our Thanksgiving holiday trip to visit my sister and her husband in Kansas City. In last week’s column, I wrote about how much I resisted eating food that came from strangers’ kitchens. I didn’t […]
- Kiwanis Hotbed January 23, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- New bladder pacemaker offers help with incontinence January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...