The Union County Board of Supervisors is once again having to decide the question of how to handle mentally ill residents. They learned Monday that a system that they thought has been working well for nearly three years may be discontinued due to lack of sufficient funding. For many years, when someone believed another to […]
About Lynn West
Author Archive | Lynn West
Most businesses, including the New Albany Gazette, and all governmental offices will close Friday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day. Because the holiday is on a Friday, the publication schedule for the Gazette will change as well. For the Wednesday, July 2, issue, the ad deadline will be 5 p.m. Thursday, June 26 and […]
The second week of the June term of circuit court ended Friday with about two dozen cases being handled in addition to those reported this past week. Many of the cases came out of indictments returned by the Union County grand jury in April, a large percentage of which were drug-related. Judge John Gregory heard […]
The community will have a freedom celebration this year, but it will be nearly a week before Independence Day so as not to cause conflict with families’ other activities. Several area churches are getting together to present the event this Sunday, June 29, at the Union County Courthouse. A picnic will start the program at […]
Union County supervisors began their regular Monday meeting with a short agenda but ended up talking for nearly an hour about several matters including who does personal property tax assessments and the rationale for granting industrial ad valorem or Freeport tax exemptions. In the assessment matter, Tax Assessor-Collector Randy Dunnam told supervisors he had learned […]
The Union County Historical Society recently achieved a milestone that drew little public attention but could dramatically increase the society and museum’s ability to attract much more substantial grants than in the past. “We have become ‘Excellence in Action’ certified under the Mississippi Center for Nonprofits,” museum director Jill Smith said. “Congratulation again on your […]
Several area churches are getting together to give the community a freedom celebration this year. The event will be Sunday, June 29, at the Union County Courthouse. A picnic will start the program at 5:30 p.m. with hamburgers or hot dogs provided and those attending are invited to bring coolers and lawn chairs (no alcohol […]
Mississippi voters will go back to the polls Tuesday to break the near-deadlock between Republicans Thad Cochran and Chris McDaniel that resulted from the June 3 primary. Tea Party candidate McDaniel edged out the 36-year incumbent senator by only about 1,400 votes for the entire state – less than a percentage point and not quite […]
Mayor Tim Kent was expected to be released from North Mississippi Medical Center Thursday after being severely injured in a freak accident Tuesday night. According to Shellie Kent, his wife, the mayor was in his shop at home working on an old Jeep he has been in the process of restoring. While he was using […]
Police Investigator Chad Glasson said that officers have two suspects in custody in connection with the burglary of the Beneficial Pawn Shop on West Bankhead Saturday, June 7, during which 18 handguns were stolen. He declined to release further specific information at this time, citing a “wide-scale multi-agency investigation” that is continuing in the case. […]
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...