Union County unemployment rate for July was 6.8 percent, slightly better than June’s 6.9 percent and again lowest among not only Northeast Mississippi counties but this month the entire north half of the state as well. Figures released by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security listed Union as having the eighth-lowest jobless rate statewide. Most […]
About Lynn West
Author Archive | Lynn West
Twelve years ago, New Birth Community Church did not even exist. But pastor and founder Jonathan Tucker had a vision. He was able to start his church and move into a small building on Clark Street just east of the old Irwin B. Schwabe shirt factory. His vision went beyond that, however, and this Sunday […]
Union County’s most famous fugitives, Janet and Ramon Barreto, are expected to be returned to New Albany this Friday or Saturday, Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said. Since going to get the couple in Portland and returning them either by way of air or in a sheriff’s car would be both impractical and expensive, the county has […]
Wayne Mahon submitted his qualifying papers this past week to seek re-election as the Fifth County School District member on the board of trustees. Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford said the paperwork was in order with the required number of verified signatures and she expected certification by the election commission Monday to be only a formality. […]
Union County supervisors gave preliminary approval to the Union County Fire Department budget Monday, although they have just begun discussing other parts of the county department budgets. The reason for the action is that a large part of fire department funding comes from insurance rebate money from the state insurance commissioner’s office and there is […]
While discussions on the city’s efforts to rid the town of unfit structures and whether it is proper to keep chickens drew most interest, New Albany aldermen had the rest of a two-page agenda to deal with at their monthly meeting Tuesday. Concerning continuing improvements to the downtown area both for visitors and residents, the […]
New Albany law enforcement reported an usual arrest – certainly the first of its type in a long time according to Chief Chris Robertson – when two individuals were charged with solicitation of prostitution. The arrests came shortly after about 10 p.m. Saturday, he said, after Pilot Truck Stop personnel called to report suspicious activity […]
New Albany police have charged two area men with grand larceny, accusing them of taking tools from HMC Sales at 910 Hwy. 30 West. Arrested were Matthew Jordan of Blue Springs and Julian Washington of Pontotoc County. Investigator Jeff Chism said the crime happened Aug. 9. The suspects waited in the back of the large […]
The Union County Development Association has been holding a series of informational and discussion breakfasts for area industry CEOs and human resource managers. A topic that keeps coming up is the problem of finding properly trained employees to hire, and employees that understand what the job entails and the work ethic needed to succeed in […]
Chris McDaniel, Tea Party candidate for the U. S. Senate, made good on his promise to take his runoff loss to Thad Cochran to the courts this past Thursday. If he is successful, it could have an impact on the election process in Union County as well as statewide. McDaniel filed suit against Cochran in […]
- County still trying to find solution to likely loss of jail trusties June 24, 2015
- Museum Madness registration underway July 1, 2015
- Groundbreaking for museum expansion will be Thursday July 1, 2015
- Man faces series of auto burglary, theft charges July 1, 2015
- Holiday weekend schedule changes include rare Saturday circuit clerk opening July 1, 2015
- Spring cleaning? Well, sort of July 1, 2015
- Honoring our nation July 1, 2015
- City school board adopts no-tax-increase budget, makes money-saving deals July 1, 2015
- Supervisors discuss funding Tupelo women’s shelter, industrial tax exemptions July 1, 2015
- Circuit clerk’s office to be open for voting Saturday despite holiday July 1, 2015
- Edwin Montenegro: Yeah welcome to south American toyota. We love you...
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...