It’s once again time for people to consider getting their influenza vaccinations for the year. While it’s too early to tell for sure, health officials are expecting this year’s vaccine to be more effective than last year. The vaccines have to be prepared before flu season so which varieties that are to be protected against […]
About Lynn West
Author Archive | Lynn West
Work finally began on the long-awaited Zaxby’s chicken restaurant this past week. Although the start was delayed several months, city officials say they have been told the work will be complete in 90 days. The restaurant will be on Park Plaza Drive between Lowes and Tallahatchie Storage.
Pre-K and kindergarten students from the four county schools were brought to BNA Bank Park Wednesday morning to visit with some of the community helpers who provide services every day. They included law enforcement, fire, utility, medical and other professionals who talked with the children and showed them aspects of their jobs. […]
The fall series of Business2Business luncheons sponsored by Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi began this past Thursday with an outside view of New Albany and its educational system by CREATE Foundation Vice-President Lewis Whitfield. And, mostly, he had good news for the community, saying we were doing well in most areas. Whitfield, who joined CREATE 11 […]
The fate of Roger Browning’s candidacy for Union County Superintendent of Education is in the hands of the Supreme Court of Mississippi, but his name is on the Nov. 3 ballot for now. Circuit Court Judge John Gregory ruled that Browning should be on the ballot, based on a section of state law backed by […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors voted Monday to regulate the sale of some powdered caffeine in the county. The action came after a Water Valley woman told of her son’s death from a heart attack after taking a couple of the caffeine capsules widely available to anyone. Although the ordinance is several pages long, […]
Local history buffs with perhaps a taste for the ghoulish got to visit with some mostly-long-departed residents of Union County Saturday at the annual presentations of Legends and Lore. Sponsored by the Union County Historical Society and produced by the Tallahatchie River Players, the event brought back to life a variety of well-known as well […]
Elementary classes from all four county schools combined fun with learning this past week as they participated in a literacy festival held at the Magnolia Civic Center. Students had stories read to them as the action was also played out on stage. They were allowed to play Bingo, compete in games outside, share snacks and […]
Circuit Court Judge John Gregory did indeed rule in favor of putting Republican county school superintendent hopeful Roger Browning back on the Nov. 3 general election ballot, as was unofficially said earlier this week. The dispute concerning his candidacy is far from over, however. No sooner had the judge approved an order Tuesday than current […]
Two of the community’s longest-serving law enforcement officers are retiring and were honored with a luncheon at Taylor’s Place Tuesday. Frank McCollum has spent 42 years in law enforcement and James “Bing” Wildman only slightly less at 36 years. McCollum started with the Okolona Police Department, serving as investigator for 22 years, then became Sherman […]
- Lady Eagles fly past Lady Rebels September 28, 2015
- Gooch and Thompson power Lady Falcons to win October 1, 2015
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Witt named to NEMCC Hall of Fame October 2, 2015
- Low unemployment rate continues for county October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Fast start gives Urchins win in division opener October 2, 2015
- Accolade for Baptist October 2, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on