Any hopes the Union County Board of Supervisors had or seeing funds restored that may be removed by the so-called budget transparency act were dashed this week. Gov. Phil Bryant did call a special session of the legislature, but only to transfer money from the state’s rainy day fund try to make up for a […]
About Lynn West
Author Archive | Lynn West
The New Albany Gazette is publishing only one combined issue this week before the July 4 holiday weekend. Today’s Wednesday issue does contain parts of both the regular Wednesday and Friday newspapers. The normal printing schedule will resume next week.
All governmental offices and many businesses will close next Monday in observance of the July 4 holiday. As usual, solid waste collection will be affected by the holiday also. In New Albany, there will be no garbage collection Monday. The usual Monday route will see collection on Tuesday, the following day. The normal Tuesday route […]
Anyone travelling between the East side of New Albany and the downtown area may want to consider a different route the next few days. The Mississippi Department of Transportation closed a section of Highway 178, which is also Bankhead Street, in downtown New Albany Monday. The street is expected to be closed through Thursday, at […]
The driver of a transport trailer truck caused damage in City Hall and to at least one business Monday when he tore down a variety of utility lines. Building Inspector Eric Thomas said the driver had apparently gotten lost, possibly relying on a GPS system to get him out of town. Thomas said tire tracks […]
Roads out in the county – particularly state highways – should be more litter-free soon. That’s thanks to the donation of a truck to the Union County Sheriff’s Department designated for litter removal. Mississippi Department of Transportation Litter Prevention Coordinator Michelle Williams and MDOT employee Jerry Speck presented Sheriff Jimmy Edwards with a 2008 Ford […]
Union County’s unemployment rate rose one percentage point from April, up to 4.9 percent for May. The county still managed to have the sixth-lowest jobless rate in the state and was again second only to DeSoto County, which has 4.5 percent unemployment, in the north half of the state. Rankin, Madison, Lamar and Scott are […]
Second District Supervisor Chad Coffey said Tuesday that, effective Tuesday, July 5, County Road 46 will be closed. The road will be closed so bridge construction can be finished and Coffey said this will probably take until the end of August. About two and a half miles of road will be affected but Coffey said […]
Crews dig up the old water and sewer lines that run along Bankhead Street – sometimes right down the middle. The lines are being repaired and moved when possible before the state highway department resurfaces Bankhead Street. The utility work was expected to take a few days.
A couple of weeks ago we offered the opinion that Flag Day is a much-overlooked holiday and suggested people think more about the meaning and origins of our flag. We saw it as a unifying symbol for everyone in our country, especially given the divisive political climate of today. This past Saturday a community FreedomFest was […]
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...