The hoopla surrounding the grand opening is over and now Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County’s new emergency department is busy with patients. The $12 million emergency department, located on the back side of the hospital campus, was scheduled to open at 6 a.m. Monday, but actually saw the first patient at 5:57 a.m. The modern facility […]
About New Albany Gazette
Author Archive | New Albany Gazette
Let’s get right to the point: We don’t think the police department in Myrtle needs a drone. We were surprised to see in an item in the Gazette last week that the Town of Myrtle had decided to use $3,000 in federal tax money to purchase an unmanned aerial vehicle. These are not the kind […]
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi,” is under way at the fairgrounds in West New Albany. The traditional fair events are in full swing with a variety of activities as well as a full carnival. Today is Seniors Day and Youth Night with […]
Mississippi Main Street Association announced this past week that New Albany and 38 other cities have been designated as accredited National Main Street Programs for meeting the commercial district revitalization performance standards set by the National Main Street Center®. “We congratulate this year’s nationally accredited Main Street programs for their outstanding accomplishment in meeting the […]
Toyota Mississippi donates seven trial vehicles to local organizations BLUE SPRINGS, Miss. (July 8, 2014) – Four local organizations benefitted from the donation of vehicles from Toyota Mississippi today. The cars, valued at nearly $103,000 are one way Toyota Mississippi supports organizations in the community. Three Career and Technology Centers that serve Lee, Pontotoc and […]
The question of allowing the sale or consumption of beer and light wine (wine coolers) at special events on city property is expected to be on the August meeting agenda of the New Albany Board of Aldermen. Examples of such events cited by city officials include arts receptions or exhibit openings at the Union County […]
You would have had to be there. Just hearing the story retold doesn’t do it justice. But we’ll try. The New Albany Board of Aldermen spent part of its meeting last week discussing chickens and roosters in residential areas of the city. The topic came up because Ward One Alderman Jeff Olson asked that an […]
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) has awarded the Three Rivers Solid Waste Management Authority a $59,000 waste tire grant to continue the local waste tire collection program for small quantity generators of waste tires in Calhoun, Itawamba, Lee, Monroe, Pontotoc and Union Counties. Funding for waste tire grants is provided by a waste […]
Building the Ripley Railroad through Tippah, Union, Pontotoc and Chickasaw Counties in the late 1880s and early 1890s brought excitement, prosperity and was filled with close calls, funding shortages, the race to New Albany, death of workers and triumph for Col. William C. Falkner who masterminded this large project. Museum Moments on July 17 at the […]
The Mississippi Arts Commission (MAC) has granted $1.34 million in funding to artists and arts programs across the state for fiscal year 2015. These funds were awarded in 46 Mississippi counties, ranging from operating support for museums and community arts centers to small grants that assist schools with bringing in guest artists. The grants will […]
- A drone in Myrtle? July 18, 2014
- Union County Fair pageant winners July 18, 2014
- County plans extension office renovation, courthouse roof repair but reports no progress in mental health issue July 23, 2014
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- Interns invaluable for county heritage museum July 25, 2014
- Jets shut out Bollweeviles July 25, 2014
- USA swim rep visits Tallahatchie Tidal Wave July 25, 2014
- The Extra Point: Basketball championship expansion a miss July 25, 2014
- County school board election coming up July 25, 2014
- State residents to get yearly back-to-school purchasing ‘tax holiday’ July 25, 2014
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- Sheli McClellan: Love these kids! They're a hard-working bunch wh...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey