By Dennis Clayton Coach Lisa Bogue’s West Union Lady Eagles will be loaded with playoff experience as most players played on the team that made it to the North Half championship in slow pitch last season. Many members played on the fast pitch team that was runner-up in the Class 2A State championship. Seniors on […]
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
Author Archive | Dennis Clayton
The long awaited, much anticipated time of the year is at hand. We begin fall sports in our high schools afresh and anew this weekend. Actually, East Union got us started last weekend, although they were only allowed two and a half innings of play in softball due to the weather. They did lead Tupelo […]
SPORTS CALENDAR for week of August 15 – 21 Friday August 16 Football New Albany at Kossuth (Jamboree) Saturday August 17 Softball West Union Preseason Classic Tournament New Albany vs Ingomar – 9:00 New Albany vs Myrtle – 10:15 Oxford vs Ingomar – 11:30 Hickory Flat vs Myrtle – 12:45 Oxford vs West Union – […]
Local high school teams began practicing for their respective fall sports on Monday. Area football, slow pitch softball, volleyball and cross country athletes hit the practice fields, courts, and trails in hopes of taking their teams to victory in the upcoming fall sports seasons. Some north Mississippi football teams even hit the practice filed at […]
We turn the page and begin another chapter in high school sports beginning next week. New Albany will get things started with a jamboree game at Kossuth on Friday night August 16. Then on Saturday many of our local teams will take the first pitch of the softball season at the West Union Tournament. New […]
Tallahatchie Tidal Wave swimmers Joseph Fennell, Aniston McClellan, and Bo Rainer show their medals and ribbons from the State Long Course Swim Meet that was recently held in Cleveland. Although the club is less than two years old, these young swimmers made a major showing against elite swimmers from across the state of Mississippi. The […]
Last Thursday I had the privilege to meet some of our local swimmers with the Tallahatchie Tidal Waves Swim Team. My major purpose was to interview Coach Joanna Manning and those swimmers that recently competed in the state championships in Cleveland. I accomplished that order of business, but it was impressive how much our local […]
by Dennis Clayton The Northeast Mississippi Jets used a huge eight run second to hand the Tupelo Thunder their first league loss in their 13-10 victory. The Jets sent 12 batters to the plate during the second inning scoring outburst as they collected six hits to take a 12- 2 lead after two innings. The […]
Adam Gore/LetsGoICC.com FULTON, MS – The Amory Lady Panthers and Saltillo Tigers won the inaugural Itawamba Community College High School Soccer Showcase held at the ICC Soccer Complex on Thursday. The Lady Panthers picked up 4-0 wins over Saltillo and Itawamba AHS along with a key 2-1 victory over New Albany to earn the girls’ […]
The above question was the title of a hit song in the late Sixties by Chicago Transit Authority (later shortened to Chicago because the real transit authority complained about the group’s name). Anyhow, the question in the song went like this “Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? Well I […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...