By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange A few key relocations has head coach Josh Blythe feeling good about East Union’s slow-pitch squad. “Since last season, we’ve had two move back to East Union and they’ll both be seniors – Katey Hunt and Savannah Alexander,” Blythe said. “Having those two girls back will be key, […]
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
Author Archive | Dennis Clayton
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Marty Cook is eager to begin his first season as head coach of Myrtle’s slow-pitch softball team. The fast-pitch head coach takes over the top position in slow-pitch after Robert Gordon stepped aside to spend more time with family. “Coach Gordon is a legend – 300 wins and […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Andy Wilbanks described the outlook for Ingomar’s slow-pitch season as a youth movement. With a half-dozen positions left open by graduation, the Lady Falcons are hoping for underclassmen to step into starting roles. “We are going to be pretty young,” said Wilbanks, who is beginning his eighth season […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Scott Duley will have the luxury of a returning D.J. Armstrong for a fourth consecutive year as quarterback. In fact, Armstrong is the only quarterback Duley has ever had in his four year run as Union County (two years) and East Union (two years) coach. “D.J. Armstrong has been the quarterback […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange During the past two seasons, New Albany could count on quarterback Spencer Day to lead the offense through the air and running back Boston Newsome to take care of business on the ground. As seniors in 2012, they helped the Bulldogs capture the Division 2-4A football championship. Head […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Dorothy Denton hopes that a strong first month of competition will benefit her cross country team. New Albany starts the running season at Pontotoc and then travels the next Saturday to Saltillo. Both meets will feature some of the best teams and individual runners in the state. Coach Denton will enter […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Nathan Tidwell begins his first year as West Union cross country coach and one area that his team is not lacking in is numbers. At present the numbers are at 30 and counting. Included in that number is Savannah Shirley, former 1A State Champion of 2011. Shirley had another strong showing […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Nathan McLellen looks to his three senior boys to provide the experience and leadership for this year’s cross country team. “I’ve got Brett Rakestraw, Jonathan Valle and Christian McLellen that had a lot of success. They’ve won two state championships, won some division championships and won some county championships. “We will […]
New Albany Volleyball Enters Second Year By Dennis Clayton Coach Shay Ashford leads her Lady Bulldogs into year two of competition. This time around, the team will have some experience as the inaugural team gained experience match by match on the hardwood. This year’s team is loaded with seniors and some of those are Erin […]
By Dennis Clayton Coach Shane Sanderson will have a mix of experience and youth in 2013 Lady Bulldogs. The team will have four seniors to look to for leadership: Lauren Cavender, Megan Dye, Lauren Boyd and Destini Knox. Cavender will pitch again for New Albany, Coach Sanderson stated that “Lauren does a wonderful job on […]
- Downtown crosswalks January 21, 2015
- When numerals are Roman January 28, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...