By Dennis Clayton East Union boys took first among 2A Boys in the Tupelo Christian Preparatory School Invitational on Saturday. East Union placed three runners in the top 41 as Jordan Salmon, Zane Wilkinson and Zach Rowan all ran in the 20s in the boys 5K event. The Urchins had a total of six runners […]
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
Author Archive | Dennis Clayton
by Dennis Clayton West Union’s Lady Eagles overcame their lack of offense with some serious defense to claim the title of Union County Champs in Saturday’s slow pitch softball tournament at BNA Bank Park. The Lady Eagles scored 14 runs in four games, but only gave up 3 runs to opponents. All of those runs […]
Bulldogs suffer 38-13 setback to Water Valley By Jay Tidwell Special to the News Exchange NEW ALBANY – Devin Wilson is spending this week improving himself and his teammates. The junior running back led New Albany with 63 yards on 11 carries – one for a touchdown – against Water Valley last Friday, but it […]
East Union runs to win over Houlka By Dennis Clayton East Union had several new faces in the lineup and in the backfield, but that didn’t prevent them from running over and around the visiting Houlka Wildcats on Friday night. Coach Scott Duley said “I thought our boys showed a lot of heart and it […]
by Dennis Clayton The fall sports season is officially here. New Albany got their football season started with a two quarter jamboree game at Kossuth. The teams battled to a 0-0 tie. Both offenses made some ball movement, but both were unsuccessful in denting the scoreboard. Coach Ron Price said “We knew coming in what […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange New Albany Middle School head football coach Nickey Nance understands what it takes to cultivate a winning environment. Nance, who majored in agricultural education at Miss. State, was a successful head high school coach at Falkner, his alma mater. He is in his second year at New Albany, […]
Thursday August 22 Volleyball New Albany at Tupelo – 5:30/6:30 Softball Mooreville at East Union – 5:00 JV/V West Union at South Pontotoc – 5:00JV/6:30V New Albany at Tishomingo County – 5:30 Bruce at Ingomar – 5:00 Tupelo at Myrtle – 5:00V/JV Friday August 23 Football Water Valley at New Albany – 7:00 Houlka at […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Kevin Williams has set high standards for Ingomar’s cross-country teams this season, in part because of local rivalries. “Union County has excelled in cross-country, and Ingomar has one of the youngest programs in terms of the number of years we’ve been running and have been participating,” said Williams, […]
By Jay Tidwell Special to the News-Exchange Myrtle head coach Chris Greer is optimistic about his cross-country squad’s potential this year. The Hawks will regularly run against some of the fastest teams in Class 1A North, including county-rivals Ingomar and West Union, as well as Hickory Flat, which moved down this season from Class 2A. […]
- Kiwanis Hotbed January 23, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- New bladder pacemaker offers help with incontinence January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...