ELLISTOWN – East Union put the finishing touches on their spring football on Monday as they hosted New Site and South Pontotoc in abbreviated games of 15 minute halves. The Urchins lost the opener 7-6 to New Site and the nightcap 21-0 to South Pontotoc. “We went in wanting to see effort and things that […]
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
Author Archive | Dennis Clayton
East Union will head to Trustmark Park in Pearl this week to go for the MHSAA Class 2A state championship with Loyd Star in the best of three series. The teams were originally scheduled to play game one on Wednesday, but due to severe weather concerns for the area, play was moved up to Tuesday […]
Urchins defeat Ingomar for 2A championship series appearance INGOMAR – East Union got off the bus swinging the bats as a seven-run outburst in the first inning decided their game two with Ingomar early on. The Urchins went on to win 13-2 in five innings, taking the 2A North Half championship series 2-0. “I just […]
Monday, May 16 at East Union Football Field 5:00 – East Union vs South Pontotoc (Jr. High) 5:45 – East Union vs New Site (Varsity) 6:30 – South Pontotoc vs New Site (Varsity) 7:15 – East Union vs South Pontotoc (Varsity) 8:00 – East Union vs South Pontotoc (JV)
INGOMAR – East Union needed a seventh inning rally to win the opening game of their North Half baseball series with Ingomar, but not so in game two on Friday. The Urchins exploded for seven runs in the first and won by a final of 13-2 in five innings to sweep the series 2-0. The […]
ELLISTOWN – East Union got a golden opportunity in the bottom of the seventh inning and Cade Bell delivered the clutch RBI as the Urchins broke the tie and won 3-2 in their game one series. East Union loaded the bases on back-to-back bloop singles and a walk then Bell drove the hard liner to […]
Ingomar needed only two games to take the third-round series with Calhoun City and advance to round four of the Class 2A baseball playoffs. The Falcons clinched the sweep on Friday with a 6-4 win over the Wildcats. Logan Nobles had a huge night at the plate for the Falcons with a homer and three […]
ELLISTOWN – East Union asked for three innings from starting pitcher Cade Bell and he gave them five-plus innings and was the winning pitcher in the Urchins 4-3 game three win over East Webster on Monday. “I thought Bell just had a tremendous game, he and Joel (Wilkinson) and that was the difference in the […]
Myrtle boys had never won a state title in track, but that all changed on Saturday as the Hawks won the 1A title utilizing their numbers and hard-work ethic in the competition. “We put a lot of people in (events), we got a lot of people out, ” Myrtle coach Chris Greer said. “Abiram (Frazier) […]
Katie Rowan and Jordon Salmon won two individual state track titles apiece as East Union won seven total on the day at the opening day of the 2016 MHSAA track championships at Pearl on Friday. Rowan won the first state title of the day for East Union with her final jump of 17-06.00 in the […]
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer