BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union concluded their spring football practices with scrimmages with Biggersville and Thrasher on Thursday. The Urchins tied Biggersville in the opener 6-6 and defeated Thrasher in the nightcap 13-8. “I was proud of them (Urchins),” East Union coach Kevin Walton said. “They had good effort. We’ve just been teaching […]
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
Author Archive | Dennis Clayton
Information submitted by Lacretia Wilkinson, Director of First Choice Center for Women First Choice Center for Women is sponsoring an Art Contest. The contest is open to all 6-12 students in Union county and New Albany City schools as well as home-schooled students. This is not a fundraising contest. The purpose of this contest is […]
By Lynn West First Choice of New Albany will host its sixth annual 5K Run/3K Walk for Life event on Saturday, April 11. Because the organization services are free, the financial support raised from the 5K Race for the Unborn/3K Walk for Life helps enable First Choice to provide medical and counseling services to women […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON MOOREVILLE – East Union’s Lady Urchins gave perennial 3A power Mooreville all they could handle on Saturday before falling 2-1 in a hastily scheduled game due to recent rains. “I love playing Mooreville, in my opinion they are the best of the best,” East Union coach Josh Blythe said. “They’ve got two […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union won their game one in the late innings and lost game two in extra innings at the Pontotoc baseball tournament on Saturday. The Urchins defeated TCPS 7-0 and lost to North Pontotoc 4-3. Witt Roaton had a brilliant performance on the mound in game one, allowing only one hit while […]
INGOMAR – Late in the fourth quarter, Ingomar trailed Coldwater in the first round of the Class 1A state playoffs. Not only did the Falcons need a big play, they needed someone to step up and lead the team. They got both in senior Laquain Foster, who turned a turnover earned by Ingomar’s defense into […]
New Albany gained a narrow 53-52 victory on Tuesday, defeating Greenwood in the opening round of the Class 4A state playoffs. “I feel that our offensive execution and our kids’ willingness to match their (Greenwood) physicality on both ends of the court were definitely the keys to the win,” New Albany coach Brad Gray said. […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ASHLAND – Ingomar’s Lady Falcons rallied in the second half to win the Division 2-1A tournament championship on Saturday, defeating Ashland 45-35. Ingomar trailed 27-20 with 4:05 left in the third quarter, but the Lady Falcons went on a 25-8 run to close the game and take the win. “We did have […]
(B) Ingomar 71, Coldwater 65 Ingomar rallied from a 63-56 deficit, going on a 15-2 run to close the contest and win in the first round of State 1A playoffs on Tuesday. The game featured 10 lead changes plus numerous ties, with the largest lead only being seven points. Ingomar held an early lead by […]
The blast of winter weather forced the postponement of the Girls North playoffs scheduled on Monday for four Union County area teams. All of the contests are rescheduled for Wednesday, weather permitting. Here is a listing of the games and the rescheduled dates and times: Wednesday, February 25 6:00 – Mound Bayou JFK at Ingomar […]
- Life intervenes in the plan May 20, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Fun at the spray park May 27, 2015
- Toyota Corolla production move from Canada to South America will not affect Blue Springs plant May 27, 2015
- New Albany school board votes to make high school ‘all iPad’ school May 27, 2015
- Saturday last day for absentee voting in congressional run-off May 27, 2015
- Union County Fair about six weeks away May 27, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...