INGOMAR – Late in the fourth quarter, Ingomar trailed Coldwater in the first round of the Class 1A state playoffs. Not only did the Falcons need a big play, they needed someone to step up and lead the team. They got both in senior Laquain Foster, who turned a turnover earned by Ingomar’s defense into […]
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
Author Archive | Dennis Clayton
New Albany gained a narrow 53-52 victory on Tuesday, defeating Greenwood in the opening round of the Class 4A state playoffs. “I feel that our offensive execution and our kids’ willingness to match their (Greenwood) physicality on both ends of the court were definitely the keys to the win,” New Albany coach Brad Gray said. […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ASHLAND – Ingomar’s Lady Falcons rallied in the second half to win the Division 2-1A tournament championship on Saturday, defeating Ashland 45-35. Ingomar trailed 27-20 with 4:05 left in the third quarter, but the Lady Falcons went on a 25-8 run to close the game and take the win. “We did have […]
(B) Ingomar 71, Coldwater 65 Ingomar rallied from a 63-56 deficit, going on a 15-2 run to close the contest and win in the first round of State 1A playoffs on Tuesday. The game featured 10 lead changes plus numerous ties, with the largest lead only being seven points. Ingomar held an early lead by […]
The blast of winter weather forced the postponement of the Girls North playoffs scheduled on Monday for four Union County area teams. All of the contests are rescheduled for Wednesday, weather permitting. Here is a listing of the games and the rescheduled dates and times: Wednesday, February 25 6:00 – Mound Bayou JFK at Ingomar […]
OXFORD – New Albany appeared to still be on the bus in the opening quarter of their 2-4A division tournament game against Lafayette. The Bulldogs found themselves on the wrong end of the 18-12 score, but they kept grinding and working to down the Commodores 57-50 on Wednesday. “You can’t make excuses, they (Lafayette) just […]
SALTILLO – East Union used a slower tempo to defeat a much taller Saltillo team 40-33 on Friday night. East Union spread their offense and worked for the high percentage shots to take the win. The Urchins boys were defeated by a 61-47 score. “I knew they (Saltillo) were big and they presented some challenges […]
INGOMAR – Ingomar and New Albany met again for the second time in less than a month and the Lady Falcons kept their win streak alive in a took a 56-36 win over the Bulldogs New Albany won the nightcap 70-56. In both games, the winning team took an early lead and never relinquished it. […]
MYRTLE – Myrtle had an answer for every run that Jumpertown made and held on to defeat the Cardinals 60-55 on Tuesday. The Lady Hawks fell 52-45 to Jumpertown in the opening game. “We did not have the effort that we have been having, but a quick turn-around from last night’s road game at Falkner,” […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON MYRTLE – Myrtle had an answer for every run that Jumpertown made and held on to defeat the Cardinals 60-55 on Tuesday. The Lady Hawks fell 52-45 to Jumpertown in the opening game. “We did not have the effort that we have been having, but a quick turn-around from last night’s road […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley to hold Union County town hall meeting February 25, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Urchins fall to Chieftains’ scoring surge February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...