STAFF REPORTS The close-knit East Union Urchin family is grieving over the tragic loss of classmate and teammate TJ Hamblin following a swimming accident on Friday. Hamblin would have been entering the junior class this fall and was a member of the Urchin football and powerlifting teams. According to Mack Wilemon, Tishomingo County Coroner, a […]
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
Author Archive | Dennis Clayton
The New Albany Park Commission announces registration for its 2015 Soccer Season. Registration is going on now and will run through Friday, August 21, 2015. The fee is $45 per child, ($40 per each sibling). All registrations must be done in person at the Sportsplex office located inside BNA Park. For more information cal (662) […]
Dye named Coach of the Year after impressive bowling season BY DENNIS CLAYTON – New Albany coach Wayne Dye was recently chosen as the Mississippi Association of Coaches Bowling Coach of the Year for the 2014-15 season. Dye has guided the Bulldog bowling program since its inception three years ago. “It was an honor to […]
Heard turns medical setback into ministry of encouragement Dennis Clayton Sportswriter A busy life with sports kept Bre Anna Heard going for most of her life. Besides teaching responsibilities at West Union Attendance Center, Heard was an assistant coach for the Lady Eagles slow-pitch and fast-pitch as well as a volunteer for the girls’ basketball […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union concluded their spring football practices with scrimmages with Biggersville and Thrasher on Thursday. The Urchins tied Biggersville in the opener 6-6 and defeated Thrasher in the nightcap 13-8. “I was proud of them (Urchins),” East Union coach Kevin Walton said. “They had good effort. We’ve just been teaching […]
Information submitted by Lacretia Wilkinson, Director of First Choice Center for Women First Choice Center for Women is sponsoring an Art Contest. The contest is open to all 6-12 students in Union county and New Albany City schools as well as home-schooled students. This is not a fundraising contest. The purpose of this contest is […]
By Lynn West First Choice of New Albany will host its sixth annual 5K Run/3K Walk for Life event on Saturday, April 11. Because the organization services are free, the financial support raised from the 5K Race for the Unborn/3K Walk for Life helps enable First Choice to provide medical and counseling services to women […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON MOOREVILLE – East Union’s Lady Urchins gave perennial 3A power Mooreville all they could handle on Saturday before falling 2-1 in a hastily scheduled game due to recent rains. “I love playing Mooreville, in my opinion they are the best of the best,” East Union coach Josh Blythe said. “They’ve got two […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union won their game one in the late innings and lost game two in extra innings at the Pontotoc baseball tournament on Saturday. The Urchins defeated TCPS 7-0 and lost to North Pontotoc 4-3. Witt Roaton had a brilliant performance on the mound in game one, allowing only one hit while […]
INGOMAR – Late in the fourth quarter, Ingomar trailed Coldwater in the first round of the Class 1A state playoffs. Not only did the Falcons need a big play, they needed someone to step up and lead the team. They got both in senior Laquain Foster, who turned a turnover earned by Ingomar’s defense into […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Families of Union Countians killed in service to participate in Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ September 2, 2015
- Number of unemployed Union Countians back down slightly September 2, 2015
- Labor Day holiday to affect business, garbage collection schedules September 2, 2015
- Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ August 28, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...