Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs scalped by the Indians
It definitely wasn’t the bounce back game that New Albany had been looking for.
Itawamba quarterback Vijay Miller and the Indians offense couldn’t be stopped on Friday, shutting the Bulldogs in a 35-0 final.
“Itawamba is a great football team, and they made some mistakes last week that cost them the game. Unfortunately they got that all out of the way and played a pretty smooth football game tonight and they showed us that to be successful in 4A there’s a way you have to play football,” New Albany coach Ron Price said.
Bryce Collins arm was the only offensive start that the Bulldogs could find, though the quarterback threw one interception early in the game. The Indians defensive line routinely shut down New Albany’s run game, with the longest rushing gain of the game around 27 yards.
Miller finished the game with three touchdown passes to three different receivers, and rushed for two more in the second half of the contest.
Over in Ellisville, East Union moved to 2-0 after dominating the Middleton Tigers in a 39-8 final to give the Urchins their first win in their newly opened home stadium.
The momentum belonged to the Urchins through the game, capitalizing on a turnover with Jesse Keller blocking a punt by the Tigers to set up Austin Colburn’s 23-yard return to close the first half.
Wing back Cage West also hauled in two touchdowns, while quarterback Lane Plunk threw one touchdown pass to receiver Zane Wilkinson
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...