Supervisors starting work on county budget
Union County supervisors gave preliminary approval to the Union County Fire Department budget Monday, although they have just begun discussing other parts of the county department budgets.
The reason for the action is that a large part of fire department funding comes from insurance rebate money from the state insurance commissioner’s office and there is a time limit in which it must be dispersed.
Supervisors agreed they did not want to jeopardize that money.
This year, the Union County departments are receiving slightly more than $98,000 in rebate money plus a little over $6,000 from code enforcement, both of which totals will be added to the $118,653 balance from the county.
About $65,000 will be used for salary, related expenses and training, with $50,000 of that $65,000 in an emergency fund mostly used for unexpected equipment repairs.
The cash amount each of the 10 county departments will receive will be $15,024.17.
Due to the cost of equipment for each department and individual volunteers, the departments still have to rely heavily on fund-raisers to purchase what they need to protect their communities.
In other business, supervisors approved a resolution for the operation of the Town Creek Master Waste Management District, which affects a small part of southeast Union County.
They also approved issuing a manual check for $2,0073.05 to the sheriff’s department PIPE fund. The department uses seized assets to pay for information or buy drugs during undercover operations.
The next meeting of the board will be at 10 a.m. Thursday to do further work on the budget.
The next regularly scheduled meeting after that will be at 10 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25.
About Lynn West
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...