Lady Bulldogs swept by Lafayette in volleyball
NEW ALBANY – New Albany took early leads in the first two sets against Lafayette, but the Lady Commodores clawed their way back to win and took the third set by a wide margin as they won the match 3-0 on Monday.
“We played hard, we just don’t know how to finish a game,” New Albany coach Shay Ashford said. “We’ve got to learn how to win and that’s something we don’t know how to do yet. When we have them down and out, we don’t know how to keep them down and out.”
New Albany took an early lead in the first set, but Lafayette tied it at 5-5 and then took the lead. New Albany was able to tie the set again at 14-14, but the Lady Bulldogs could not regain the lead and Lafayette eventually took the set 25-21.
New Albany went up by six points late in the second set at 17-11, but the Lady Bulldogs could not stop a Lafayette 14-5 run and fell by a 25-22 score.
Lafayette jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the third set and New Albany never could mount a comeback as they fell 25-9.
“I thought we played better,” Ashford said. “We have just got to learn how to close the game.”
Meadow Golden had success with her service, helping the Lady Bulldogs go on a five-point run in her first service in the opening set and a four-point run on her service in the second set. Golden had seven service aces on the night. Kaitlyn Cavender picked up three service aces.
“They have got to grow up and want to win,” Ashford said. They have the tools, they know what to do, now they have just got to execute.
New Albany played Tupelo on Tuesday night and will host Pontotoc on Thursday night.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...