Hawks fall 3-1 to Corinth on Willams’ homerun hit
MYRTLE – Though the Lady Hawks found an early lead, the Corinth Warriors went home with the win in the Hawks 2014 slow-pitch opener.
Kristen Young took the loss on the mound for the Hawks, while Corinth’s Allie Rhea Jacobs earned the win, giving up five hits and two walks to Myrtle.
Young finished the night with five hits and one walk across seven innings.
Ashton Hogue led off for the Hawks during the game, and later scored Myrtle’s lone run off a fly-out and tag from Heather Smith.
The 1-0 advantage held for the Lady Hawks until the third inning where a lead walk and a base hit from Jamia Kirk kept set up a triple home run from senior Rebekah Williams.
Williams’ hit vaulted the Lady Warriors to a 3-1 lead, with Corinth’s defense keeping the Hawks off balance for the remainder of the game.
“When you look at it, one pitch beat us,” Hawks head coach Marty Cook said, “Other than that, they don’t score and that’s just how it goes sometimes.”
A string of contacts in the sixth inning placed the Hawks in scoring position, a would-be two-RBI single caught in left field to end the threat for Myrtle.
With Lowery out at third base, the Hawks saw a ground out and a fly out to turn over the inning.
Myrtle again loaded the bases in the seventh, with Callie Denton’s leading double followed by a single from Lauren Coggin and a walk of Kellan Tanner.
A double play from Williams at center field to shortstop Jamia Kirk at second ended the game.
“Corinth is probably a 4A title contender so to hang with them this early in the season is encouraging, we had some errors, we missed some things, but it’s stuff to build on,” Cook said.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...