Beautification committee working on plans to landscape Bankhead St.
By Angie Barmer
The New Albany City Beautification Committee met last week to discuss upcoming projects.
A discussion was had on the future landscaping-based city beautification projects, including, but not limited to, planting trees along Bankhead Street and doing landscaping and all of the entrances and exits to New Albany.
Jean Ashcraft made the motion to use native plants whenever possible for any and all city beautification projects. The motion carried.
There are no further definite plans on the landscaping-based beautification projects at this time.
The committee budget was brought up in discussion as well.
The current budget for the committee is approximately $14,300. Of that amount, $3,000 is being set aside to pay for the architectural rendering plans that Sam Creekmore is going to draw up for various city beautification purposes. Approximately $10,000 is going to be spent on purchasing 27 more decorative street signs that will be placed on various streets throughout the city. That leaves the committee with a leftover budget amount of approximately $1,300. The new budget will begin Oct. 1.
The street sign project has been going on for a few years now and after these 27 signs are purchased, only 27 additional signs are left to be purchased to complete the project.
In the near future, artists will be chosen to paint artistic designs on the long wall located on Highland Street that runs parallel to the railroad tracks. Currently, there is a Famous Feet of Mississippians mural painted on the wall. The committee will purchase a neutral color to prime the wall first.
The next meeting will be held at 9 a.m. on Aug. 19 in the New Albany City Hall boardroom.
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer