Our local economy
Two recent items in the news point to the state of the economy in New Albany and Union County.
First, our unemployment rate in Union County for June is 6.9 percent, which is the lowest among all the counties in Northeast Mississippi. Lafayette County has historically had the lowest rate. Lafayette’s rate is 7.4 percent.
Even better, the Union County rate for June a year ago was 7.7 percent, which demonstrates an improved economy in our area.
The second item of interest is sales tax growth. New Albany has a 2.5 percent rate of growth, which means consumer spending is increasing in New Albany. That compares with a 3.3 percent growth rate in Pontotoc, a 1.5 percent growth rate in Ripley and a 1.4 percent growth rate in Tupelo.
Of course, Tupelo’s actual number is so much larger than any of the others that maintaining a growth rate with, say, New Albany would be much more difficult.
To find the real growth engine in our region, though, we need to look to Oxford, which is enjoying a 5.4 percent growth rate. The growth in sales in Oxford is easy see on a drive through the city, where construction is booming.
But here in New Albany and Union County, we should be pleased with our improving economy. Employment and consumer spending in our area are both headed in the right direction.
About New Albany Gazette
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer