County’s June jobless rate lowest in NE Mississippi; eighth best in state
Union County’s unemployment rate for June was 6.9 percent, making it eighth-lowest in the state and the lowest among counties in Northeast Mississippi according to figures from the Mississippi Employment Security Commission.
Although among the lowest, the rate did represent a slightly upward trend for the county, which reported 6.5 percent in May and 5.5 percent in April. Unemployment still was lower than the 7.5-percent rate of May last year.
Behind Union in the region were Alcorn County with 7.3 percent jobless and Lafayette County with 7.4 percent. Lafayette County has historically reported the lowest rate most months for many years.
The jobless rate statewide was 8.7 percent, compared to the national rate of only 6.3 percent.
Rankin County reported the lowest rate in Mississippi at 5.1 percent while Clay was highest at 18.1 percent.
According to MESC, Union County had a labor force of 13,180 in June, 12,270 of whom were employed and 910 not employed.
About Lynn West
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...