County’s June jobless rate lowest in NE Mississippi; eighth best in state
Union County’s unemployment rate for June was 6.9 percent, making it eighth-lowest in the state and the lowest among counties in Northeast Mississippi according to figures from the Mississippi Employment Security Commission.
Although among the lowest, the rate did represent a slightly upward trend for the county, which reported 6.5 percent in May and 5.5 percent in April. Unemployment still was lower than the 7.5-percent rate of May last year.
Behind Union in the region were Alcorn County with 7.3 percent jobless and Lafayette County with 7.4 percent. Lafayette County has historically reported the lowest rate most months for many years.
The jobless rate statewide was 8.7 percent, compared to the national rate of only 6.3 percent.
Rankin County reported the lowest rate in Mississippi at 5.1 percent while Clay was highest at 18.1 percent.
According to MESC, Union County had a labor force of 13,180 in June, 12,270 of whom were employed and 910 not employed.
About Lynn West
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...