Jets shut out Bollweevils
The Northeast Mississippi Jets earned a shut-out win on Tuesday, knocking off the Inverness Bollweevils 12-0 in five innings.
Starting pitcher Josh Hargett (Itawamba) Agricultural High School was the star of the game, tossing a no-hitter of four innings and striking out three.
Relief pitcher Jacob Kent (Myrtle) closed the game in the fifth inning.
The Jets racked up nine hits during the game, with Clay Faulkner (Hebron Christian Academy) and Tucker Fant (Marshall Academy) both logging two each.
The Jets 5-0 lead ballooned to 8-0 after three innings with Fant opening the inning with a triple into center field.
At 6-2 the Jets sit in second place behind the undefeated Tenn-Tom Thunder at 7-0 in the Deep South Division.
Generals 14, Bobcats 5
A fifth inning surge gave the Generals a healthy win against the Bobcats as the team scored six runs in the bottom of the inning.
Austin Gafford (New Albany) and Bryson Cass (Belmont) both finished the night with two hits each.
Cass also turned in three RBIs during the game while Sawyer Byars (Houlka) added two to his stat line.
Cass was the winning pitcher for the game with Dylan Goolsby (Ripley) pitching three innings of relief and giving up three hits.
Joshua Miles (Tupelo Christian Prepatory) took the loss on the mound for the Bobcats while Ross Shackleford (Ripley) led the team with two hits.
Cotton States High School League play will continue on Thursday, with weekend games also scheduled along with the College Baseball League’s championship series.
That series will begin on Saturday at 11 a.m. on Legion Field with the Jets facing the Thunder and continue at 1:30 p.m. with the Dealers and the Generals.
The Rascals and the Tribe will play the winners of the morning match-ups at 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m..
The winner of those two games will meet on Sunday at 4 p.m. for the League Championship Series which will conclude the college league.
The high school league will conduct its championship series on August 2 and 3.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...