Bulldogs wrap up summer soccer in Pontotoc
New Albany wrapped up their summer 7v7 season at Pontotoc as they played in a round robin scrimmage with host Pontotoc, Saltillo and Tupelo.
“We ended the day 2-1 with the varsity girls picking up wins against 4A rival Pontotoc and Tupelo, the top school in North Mississippi,” New Albany coach Caryl Vogel said. “We have a lot to improve on leading into the season, but these summer tournaments really help us find our weaknesses and strengths.”
The Lady Bulldogs defeated Pontotoc 4-0 and Tupelo 1-0, while falling to Saltillo 3-1.
“We ended the day with a victory against Pontotoc in varsity boys, which is always nice,” Vogel said. “I was pleased with our effort in all the matches, but we have to continue to develop our play. We have an old group, but there is still a lot of soccer to be learned before the season kicks off.”
New Albany defeated Pontotoc 4-2, losing to Saltillo 2-1 and Tupelo 4-0.
“I’m glad our younger players got the chance to play against the JV teams,” Vogel said. “We have a lot of seventh graders who have only played in the park system and this gave them great insight into what to expect. It also gave us a great measuring stick of what we need to work on.”
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2