It’s county fair time
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi,” is under way at the fairgrounds in West New Albany.
The traditional fair events are in full swing with a variety of activities as well as a full carnival. Today is Seniors Day and Youth Night with free admission with a non-perishable food item for the Food Pantry or a $2 donation to the Red Cross. An armband for the carnival rides is $15.
A full slate of other activities is on the schedule Thursday and Friday at the fair and Children’s Day is Saturday, the last day of this year’s fair.
A new wrinkle this year is the Barnyard Ultimate Challenge, a contest between teams from area schools dealing with obstacles such as crawling through culverts, climbing over gates, jumping barrels, zig-zagging between poles and climbing hay bales. The event starts at 6 p.m. Friday.
The fair attracts several thousand people, many from the local area. But some come from other places and take advantage of our hospitality in restaurants and hotels.
A free guide to fair events is available at the fair or here at the Gazette office on Carter Avenue.
The unseasonably cool weather the rest of this week should make the fair experience even more pleasurable this year. We support the fair, now in its 73rd anniversary year.
About New Albany Gazette
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...