Today we celebrate Independence Day. Around the country, we do it in many ways – with a picnic, hot dogs, a parade, fireworks, a family reunion or a concert. For some, perhaps most or all of the above. For others, it may just be a quiet day off from work.
However we do it, we ought to pause to remember what the real observance is all about. Independence Day commemorates the adoption on July 4, 1776 of the Declaration of Independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain.
The 13 colonies actually approved a resolution of independence on July 2, but the formal document, put together by a committee of five led by Thomas Jefferson, was debated and approved two days later.
Although the day was celebrated in different ways almost from the beginning, it did not become a national holiday for federal employees until 1870.
Independence Day is a time to remind ourselves of the things our government does to make our lives safer and better, from protecting us from our enemies to helping with natural disasters.
Our government helps keep our air clear and our water safe to drink, our highways maintained and new ones constructed, our food inspected, our public schools open and funded and our police and fire departments with good equipment. The list goes on and on.
In Mississippi, being one of the nation’s poorer states, we are particularly fortunate to receive more than $3 in aid for every $1 in tax we pay to the federal government. It’s a principal reason our state and local taxes are so much lower than in many other states.
So happy Independence Day as we celebrate America and its democratic government. Fly your flag proudly.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...