New Albany girls place second at Saltillo tournament
BY DENNIS CLAYTON
SALTILLO – New Albany girls scored a late goal and kept up the attack in attempts to tie, but Saltillo was able to withstand the pressure and take a 2-1 win in the 7v7 championship game at Saltillo. New Albany finished 2-1 on the day.
“It was a great opportunity for the younger group to get some playing time and experience,” New Albany coach Caryl Vogel said. “I saw some good things and a lot of things we can work on to improve our team.
Saltillo scored the first goal of the championship midway through the contest on a Madison Hogue goal. Hannah Covington scored the second goal for Saltillo.
New Albany struck with about five minutes left as Kristen Olson ripped a shot past the Saltillo keeper to narrow the lead at 2-1. The Lady Bulldogs had a few more shots in the match, but none found the net and Saltillo took the win.
New Albany went 2-0 in the preliminary games for seeding. In the first match of the day, New Albany’s younger players came off the bench to score three goals to down Saltillo 3-1. Josie Hill scored two goals and Sanders Goode added a goal between Hill’s two for the Lady Bulldogs. Madison Hogue scored Saltillo’s goal.
The Lady Bulldogs defeated Amory 1-0 in their second match on the day as defender Caroline Mueller scored on Kristen Olson’s assist to take the win.
In boys action, New Albany played three matches and went 0-3 on the day.
“It was a tough day for our boys, with the smaller field each bad touch is magnified,” Vogel said. “I thought we played a lot better in our last match, but were unfortunate to not pull out the result.”
New Albany battled Amory to a 1-1 draw in the playoff round, but the Panthers won the match in a shootout with penalty kicks as they hit on four goals while New Albany made two. Wesley Dodds and Eathen Rainey had the shootout goals. Rainey had the goal during the match.
In the two earlier matches New Albany fell to Saltillo and Amory by identical 3-1 scores. Joe Rainey scored in the Saltillo loss and Seth Male found net in the Amory loss.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Kiwanis Hotbed January 23, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...
"Luncheon with Books athletic banquet 2014 Bay Springs Bobcats Blue Springs Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league Desoto Xplorers east union East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights high school football Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Lisa Bogue Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany Softball New Albany Volleyball Union County West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball