New Albany girls place second at Saltillo tournament
BY DENNIS CLAYTON
SALTILLO – New Albany girls scored a late goal and kept up the attack in attempts to tie, but Saltillo was able to withstand the pressure and take a 2-1 win in the 7v7 championship game at Saltillo. New Albany finished 2-1 on the day.
“It was a great opportunity for the younger group to get some playing time and experience,” New Albany coach Caryl Vogel said. “I saw some good things and a lot of things we can work on to improve our team.
Saltillo scored the first goal of the championship midway through the contest on a Madison Hogue goal. Hannah Covington scored the second goal for Saltillo.
New Albany struck with about five minutes left as Kristen Olson ripped a shot past the Saltillo keeper to narrow the lead at 2-1. The Lady Bulldogs had a few more shots in the match, but none found the net and Saltillo took the win.
New Albany went 2-0 in the preliminary games for seeding. In the first match of the day, New Albany’s younger players came off the bench to score three goals to down Saltillo 3-1. Josie Hill scored two goals and Sanders Goode added a goal between Hill’s two for the Lady Bulldogs. Madison Hogue scored Saltillo’s goal.
The Lady Bulldogs defeated Amory 1-0 in their second match on the day as defender Caroline Mueller scored on Kristen Olson’s assist to take the win.
In boys action, New Albany played three matches and went 0-3 on the day.
“It was a tough day for our boys, with the smaller field each bad touch is magnified,” Vogel said. “I thought we played a lot better in our last match, but were unfortunate to not pull out the result.”
New Albany battled Amory to a 1-1 draw in the playoff round, but the Panthers won the match in a shootout with penalty kicks as they hit on four goals while New Albany made two. Wesley Dodds and Eathen Rainey had the shootout goals. Rainey had the goal during the match.
In the two earlier matches New Albany fell to Saltillo and Amory by identical 3-1 scores. Joe Rainey scored in the Saltillo loss and Seth Male found net in the Amory loss.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Life intervenes in the plan May 20, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Fun at the spray park May 27, 2015
- Toyota Corolla production move from Canada to South America will not affect Blue Springs plant May 27, 2015
- New Albany school board votes to make high school ‘all iPad’ school May 27, 2015
- Saturday last day for absentee voting in congressional run-off May 27, 2015
- Union County Fair about six weeks away May 27, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...
Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs sports Union County Union County sports West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball