Mega Sports Camp offers youth more than just sports
BY DENNIS CLAYTON
NEW ALBANY – First Baptist Church of New Albany has traveled to various cities around the United States with their sports camps and mission trips. This week the church has given the opportunity to local youth to be a part of their ministry outreach. Mega Sports Camp began on Monday and will run through Friday at BNA Bank Park Tennis Complex.
“We’re having a great week here at BNA Bank Park with Mega Sports Camp,” First Baptist Youth Minister Paul Sizemore said. “With Mega Sports Camp, we do three different sports tennis, soccer and cheer-leading. We also have a non-sports option for the kids who want to come to camp, but don’t have an interest in sports. They still have an opportunity to participate.”
“The camp offers the opportunity for the church to reach out to the local people, particularly children and their families,” Sizemore said. “It gives us the opportunity to minister to them and also gives them the opportunity to participate in a sports camp and learn more about Jesus Christ and what it means to know Him and be a follower of Him.”
Sizemore shared that First Baptist had done sports camps several times in several cities around the Unites States and that this was the first time to “bring it home and do this locally.”
“It’s a privilege for us and it’s great to see so many kids out this week,” Sizemore said. “We’ve enrolled 51 kids from the community already (Tuesday) and we just hope to reach out to them, get to know them, meet some needs for them and their families.”
Sizemore said that the sports camp has a Vacation Bible School atmosphere but that sports is used for the draw to encourage kids and their families to be more involved.
The sports camp has been a ministry and mission project at First Baptist for over 10 years.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Campaign kicks off August 15, 2014
- Football, food and a magazine August 20, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Keep “Feet” on tour August 22, 2014
- CREATE program looks for ways to improve career readiness August 22, 2014
- County’s jobless rate lowest in north half of Mississippi August 22, 2014
- New Birth Community Church to hold open house Sunday August 22, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
"Luncheon with Books " Union County Heritage Museum athletic banquet 2014 Basketball Bay Springs Bobcats Blue Springs Christmas Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league Desoto Xplorers East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Lisa Bogue Martin Luther King Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MLK MS Myrtle Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany Softball Tournament Union County West Union Eagles West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?