The 2014 Union County Fair is less than two weeks away and while many of the events are familiar to the community, some newer additions have not received as much publicity.
Perhaps the best example is the Union County Fair Stock Dog Trial, which starts at 8 a.m. July 12 and 13. This is partly taking the place of the traditional rodeo and is an arena competition for working stock dogs that herd sheep or cattle. The event is sanctioned by the United States Border Collie Handlers Association and Mid-South Stock Dog Association with competition in Pro-Novice, Open, Nursery and Novice classes.
Another alternative is the Ranch Rodeo, which will start at 7 p.m. Saturday, July 19.
Up to eight teams of four individuals each will compete in sorting, mugging, trailer loading, branding, doctoring and wild cow milking – all cowboy skills not usually seen in traditional rodeos.
A new event this year is MSU Extension Gardening Day, which will be Tuesday, July 15. It will include a Flower Power Show in the pavilion at 9 a.m., the Tomato Challenge at 10 and a gardening educational program in the Ladies Building at 11 a.m.
Activities have been added to Senior Citizens Day Wednesday running from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. BancorpSouth will present financial information, BMH will offer free screening for blood pressure, height and weight and bone density, Bingo will be played with prizes for winners and a free lunch will be provided.
Both gospel singing and a Youth Night program similar to the FCA program presented at New Albany High School will be presented Wednesday night as well.
The Back Porch Games will again include checkers, dominoes and washer pitching.
Although the little cowboy and cowgirl contest will not return, pageants will still be available for ages from newborns up to 21 (only up to age four for boys). Pageants are open only to Union County residents except for the Miss Union County event, which is open to entrants from all Northeast Mississippi counties. Scholarships are awarded in this contest; all others present trophies.
The Barnyard Scramble is being moved to Saturday night, in the arena along with the Ranch Rodeo due to the large number of entrants. Children ages two to seven will have the opportunity to catch and keep chickens, rabbits and ducks. Youths ages eight to 15 will chase greased pigs but will win prize money instead of keeping the animals.
Magic Mr. Nick will be back Friday and Saturday and the Mid-South Youth Talent Contest preliminary Saturday will be open to ages 12 and under in the junior division and ages 13 to 21 in the Youth Contest. The winner and others will be invited to compete in the Mid-South Fair contest.
The Pet Show Saturday will be open to youths from pre-school age through 18 and prizes will be given in the categories of puppy, small dog, large dog, cat, best performing pet, most colorful pet, most unusual pet, waggiest tail and best costume.
For more information about any of the events, call the Union County Extension Office at 534-1916 or go to www.unioncountyfair.com.
Saturday, July 12
· 8:00 a.m. – 1st Annual Union County Stock Dog Trial – Union County Arena
· Noon – Pony Pull – Pulling Track
Monday, July 14
· 6:00 p.m. – Goat Show – Union County Arena
· 7-9:00 p.m. – Back Porch Games – Checker, Domino & Washer – Ladies Building
Tuesday, July 15
9:00 a.m. – Flower Power Show – Pavilion
- 10:00 a.m. – Tomato Challenge — Pavilion
- 11:00 a.m. – Gardening Educational Program – Ladies Building
- 6:00 p.m. Miss Union County Fair and Scholarship Pageant – Ladies Building – Ages 9-21
Wednesday, July 16
· 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Bancorp South Seniors Day Activities – Ladies Building
· 7:00 p.m. – Gospel Singing – Ladies Building
· 7:00 p.m. – Youth Night – Union County Arena
Thursday, July 17
· 6:00 p.m. – Little Mr. and Miss Union County Fair – Ladies Building — Ages 3 to 8
- 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. – Training Barrels – Union County Arena
- 7:00 p.m. – Barrel Races – Union County Arena
Friday, July 18
· 6:00 p.m. – Barnyard Ultimate Challenge – Union County Arena
· 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. – Union County Archery Contest – Pulling Track
· 8:00 p.m. – Magic Show featuring Magic Mr. Nick – Ladies Building
Saturday, July 19–
· 8:00 a.m. – Beef Show – Union County Arena
· 11:00 a.m. – Magic Show featuring Magic Mr. Nick – Ladies Building
· 11 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. – BNA Free Kid’s Karnival Under the Shade Trees Featuring Mike the Balloon Man
· 3:00 p.m. – Watermelon Eating Contest – Under the Shade Trees
· 2:00 p.m. – Tiny Mr. and Miss Union County Fair: Ages 0 to 2 – Ladies Building
· 5:00 p.m. – Pet Show – Livestock Show Barn
· 6:00 p.m. – Mid-South Fair Preliminary Youth Talent Show – Ladies Building
- 6:00 p.m. – Barnyard Scramble (Ducks, Rabbits, Chicken and Pigs)
· 7:00 p.m. – Ranch Rodeo – Union
· 8:00 p.m. – Flame Warriors Classic Fireman Competition – behind Arena