Museum Madness 2014 features southern stuff and more!
Fun with collage, watercolor, acrylics, weird science and drums – all southern, mind you, is what’s on tap for Museum Madness Summer Discovery Camp 2014.
The date for the annual museum camp for children ages incoming 2nd grade to incoming 5th grade is July 21 -25. The day will start at 9 a.m. each day and end at noon.
And in between, campers will have the opportunity to experience southern literature through art. Mrs. Rebecca Browning, retired art teacher, will guide campers through The Wishing Tree, the only children’s book William Faulkner ever wrote, to introduce them to the writer as well as to get them to create an inspired piece of art work. What’s your wish?
Next on the art/literary agenda, she will talk about the Mississippi writer Willie Morris, who wrote about his pet, My Dog Skip. Campers can paint a picture of their favorite pet. Bring a photo if you have one, but that is not mandatory.
Collage day will focus on the work of Mississippi writer Laurie Parker and her fanciful creations she makes with scissors, glue and a lot of talent, creating intricate and detailed collages with a story.
Mrs. Rheta Ann West, retired teacher, will be in her scientist mode as she presents Weird Science, including everything from forensics to reactions and then some. Campers may solve a crime or they may create a new reaction. On the final day of the camp, Dr. Robert Damm, percussionist from Mississippi State University, will bring his large array of drums and percussion instruments for a drum circle that will get everyone on the same beat. Campers will make their own drums to carry home.
Cost of the camp is $10 per day for members of the Union County Historical Society and $14 for non-members. Campers who sign up for the entire week will get a free T-shirt. Otherwise the shirts will cost $10. The New Albany Junior Auxiliary will assist the week with snacks and hands-on help.
To reserve your child’s place, call the museum today at 662-538-0014 or email email@example.com. Each class is limited to 25 students.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...