Organizers of the 2014 Tallahatchie RiverFest are bringing back a fine arts exhibition and competition as part of the event. Fine arts were part of early RiverFests but had not been included as a separate, specific category in several years.
RiverFest will be held Sept. 26-27 with events at a variety of locations including the courthouse lawn, Cooper Park and the Park Along the River.
The Arts Festival will be Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the courthouse lawn and at Cooper Park.
The committee is now looking for artists who want to participate.
Rules include a requirement that all artists’ merchandise be original, handmade by the exhibitor and for sale. Reproductions must be clearly labeled.
Exhibitors will have to provide their own display materials, must be present for all the festival hours and their work must be in keeping with the family-oriented atmosphere of the festival.
Artists may only show work in categories designated on application and approved by the committee, which will award applications based on originality and quality of the art. Judging will take place on Saturday morning for Best of Show, Awards and Purchase Prize.
Awards will include Best of Show, $500; two Awards of Excellence, $200; one Award of Merit, $100 and Arts Festival Purchase Prizes.
Approved categories include:
- Mixed Media: Collage, non-functional, free-standing sculpture
- Ceramics: Original shaped and fired clay (including earthenware)
- Fiber: Works created from fibers, including basketry, weaving and papermaking
- Glass: Blown glass, fused glass and stained glass
- Jewelry: Handmade
- Metal Art: Handmade
- Painting: Oil, acrylics, watercolor, other painting mediums
- Photography: Prints, transparencies, digital images
- Wood and Furniture: Original works in wood that are hand-tooled and machine turned
- Vintage: Folk Art, oddities and repurposed items
- Some items may be allowed that do not fit a standard category
The Tallahatchie RiverFest celebrates the creative spirit of the region through which this river flows. Since 1997, activities for our children, music, plays, literary awards, arts and crafts have provided a fun, free, family festival for all ages.
For more information or to apply as an art exhibitor, go to www.tallahatchieriverfest.com,
email email@example.com, send surface mail to Tallahatchie Arts Council, P.O Box 584, New Albany, MS 38652, or call Betsey Hamilton at 662-538-3424.
Entry deadline is July 31.