Area teams split results in basketball
BY DENNIS CLAYTON
MYRTLE – West Union’s Lady Eagles took a convincing 33-18 win over Hickory Flat while Ingomar fell a point short, losing to Independence 24-23 in girls’ summer basketball play at Myrtle on Monday.
West Union 33, Hickory Flat 18
The Lady Eagles used a stifling defense to post an early 14-5 first half lead to power them to the win. Kylie Massengill scored six points in the half to lead the Lady Eagles offense.
Gracen Conlee was the offensive star in the second half, scoring 12 points and connecting on two 3-pointers. West Union outscored the Lady Rebels 19-13 in the second half to secure the win.
Conlee led all scorers with 15 points.
Independence 24, Ingomar 23
Ingomar attempted to rally from a slow first half offensively, but fell just short at the buzzer. Ingomar was down by six points with about a minute remaining and hit a three and a layup to cut the score to 24-23. The Lady Falcons were unable to convert in the final seconds and Independence escaped with the win.
Independence led 17-7 at the half, but Ingomar went on a 16-7 tear in the second half to rally. Lauren Thompson led Ingomar with six points, Maggie Smithey and Gara Beth Self had five points apiece.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Kiwanis Hotbed January 23, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- New bladder pacemaker offers help with incontinence January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...
"Luncheon with Books athletic banquet 2014 Bay Springs Bobcats Blue Springs Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league Desoto Xplorers east union East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights high school football Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Lisa Bogue Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany Softball New Albany Volleyball Union County West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball