Area teams split results in basketball
BY DENNIS CLAYTON
MYRTLE – West Union’s Lady Eagles took a convincing 33-18 win over Hickory Flat while Ingomar fell a point short, losing to Independence 24-23 in girls’ summer basketball play at Myrtle on Monday.
West Union 33, Hickory Flat 18
The Lady Eagles used a stifling defense to post an early 14-5 first half lead to power them to the win. Kylie Massengill scored six points in the half to lead the Lady Eagles offense.
Gracen Conlee was the offensive star in the second half, scoring 12 points and connecting on two 3-pointers. West Union outscored the Lady Rebels 19-13 in the second half to secure the win.
Conlee led all scorers with 15 points.
Independence 24, Ingomar 23
Ingomar attempted to rally from a slow first half offensively, but fell just short at the buzzer. Ingomar was down by six points with about a minute remaining and hit a three and a layup to cut the score to 24-23. The Lady Falcons were unable to convert in the final seconds and Independence escaped with the win.
Independence led 17-7 at the half, but Ingomar went on a 16-7 tear in the second half to rally. Lauren Thompson led Ingomar with six points, Maggie Smithey and Gara Beth Self had five points apiece.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
east union East Union baseball East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured ingomar Ingomar Baseball Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany soccer New Albany Softball sports Union County union county prep sports Union County Softball Union County sports West Union West Union Baseball West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2