Area teams split results in basketball
BY DENNIS CLAYTON
MYRTLE – West Union’s Lady Eagles took a convincing 33-18 win over Hickory Flat while Ingomar fell a point short, losing to Independence 24-23 in girls’ summer basketball play at Myrtle on Monday.
West Union 33, Hickory Flat 18
The Lady Eagles used a stifling defense to post an early 14-5 first half lead to power them to the win. Kylie Massengill scored six points in the half to lead the Lady Eagles offense.
Gracen Conlee was the offensive star in the second half, scoring 12 points and connecting on two 3-pointers. West Union outscored the Lady Rebels 19-13 in the second half to secure the win.
Conlee led all scorers with 15 points.
Independence 24, Ingomar 23
Ingomar attempted to rally from a slow first half offensively, but fell just short at the buzzer. Ingomar was down by six points with about a minute remaining and hit a three and a layup to cut the score to 24-23. The Lady Falcons were unable to convert in the final seconds and Independence escaped with the win.
Independence led 17-7 at the half, but Ingomar went on a 16-7 tear in the second half to rally. Lauren Thompson led Ingomar with six points, Maggie Smithey and Gara Beth Self had five points apiece.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Bladder surgery and a priest August 13, 2014
- Police report rare prostitution arrests in city August 20, 2014
- NA aldermen get update on parking, possible cable TV changes, other items August 20, 2014
- Supervisors starting work on county budget August 20, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Area teams play in West Union classic preseason tournament August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
"Luncheon with Books " Union County Heritage Museum athletic banquet 2014 Basketball Bay Springs Bobcats Blue Springs Christmas Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league Desoto Xplorers East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Lisa Bogue Martin Luther King Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MLK MS Myrtle Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany Softball Tournament Union County West Union Eagles West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?