Yates named West Union softball coach
Hugh Yates has been tapped to fill the role of softball coach at West Union High School.
Yates will take over both the slowpitch and fastpitch programs from Lisa Bogue, who announced her retirement earlier in June.
“I’m very excited, and I’d like to thank the adminstration here and Mr. (Ken) Basil for giving me this opportunity,” Yates said. “I’m getting to do something that I love. I don’t know how to explain it, I’m just excited about it. Coach Bogue has done a wonderful job here and I want to try to keep the tradition going and try to build on it.
The Lady Eagles will see several athletes return to the field in the fall and spring seasons including veteran players Gracen Conlee, Jesslyn Brewer, Callie Baggett and Kylie Massengill The quartet of starters will provide the leadership for the Lady Eagles, who will look to fill the void left by 2014 graduates Bailey Bogue, Brittany Taylor and Julianna Garner.
“I want to make it exciting for these kids and let them enjoy it,” Yates said. “There is some young talent that I’m excited about. There’s a foundation here, it’s not like we are starting from scratch. We’re going to get those girls to accept that leadership role and let these young ones know what West Union softball is all about and what’s expected of them. We’re in a tough division and that’s a good thing too because day in and day out, you’re playing good competition.”
“I’d like to thank Coach Lisa Bogue for all her years of service and dedication to West Union softball, she did a great job and I wish her well,” West Union Athletic Director Penny Heard said. “I’m thrilled that Hugh is stepping in and he is a fabulous softball coach. He knows the game and he will pick right up and take West Union softball exactly where we need to be in the future. He has a passion for coaching softball as well as a passion for teaching too.”
Yates has been has been in the Union County school system for several years and has served as an assistant basketball coach and head cross country coach at West Union.
Yates’ resume as a softball coach spans many years as he coached daughters Brooke Gordon and Kelly Robbins throughout their youth softball years on travel and all-star teams.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...