Trio take field as MAC All-Stars
JACKSON – Three Union county baseball players closed their high school careers on Saturday as participants in the MAC All-Star game at Smith-Willis Stadium in Jackson, Miss.
Despite the North team leading for the majority of the game, the South squad just edged them out in the final inning for a walk-off base hit, winning the game in a 9-8 victory,.
Myrtle’s Colt Smith served as one of the pitchers in the contest, throwing for two innings and striking out two.
Smith didn’t give up a hit, but allowed two walks.
Offensively, Smith went one of two at bat, with a base hit in the eighth inning.
West Union’s Chase Bogue served as a catcher for the North in the final three innings, batting one of three with a lone base hit arriving in the eighth on the heels of Smith’s hit.
The following hit, a fielder’s choice by North Pontotoc’s Trey Jolly, brought in Smith for a run for a 6-5 lead.
The North added two more in the inning, aided by two wild pitches and two errors for an 8-5 lead after seven and a half innings.
East Union’s Tray Davis saw three innings in right field.
Davis had the best day on offense among the Union County products in the game, going two of four with a base hit and a walk.
For the South, a double steal and a throwing error plated two runs at the bottom of the eighth, cutting the North lead 8-7.
West Lincoln’s Brady Wilson earned his South Most Valuable Player status as the final batter of the game, logging a single into left field that brought in Connor Woodall of Saint Andrew’s for the RBI winning run.
The South leads the MAC series 16-13 in the 1A/2A/3A contest.
The South team also took the opening game win in the 4A/5A/6A game earlier on Saturday, defeating the North in a 4-3 after jumping to a 3-0 lead early in the game.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...