McDonald, Wilson compete in combine
TUPELO – Two New Albany Bulldogs received the opportunity to compete as some of the top football talent in the state.
Rising seniors Jake McDonald and Devin Wilson took part in the Southern Select Combine at Tupelo High School on Saturday, increasing their visibility for recruiters in the hope of furthering their careers after high school.
“It was my first time to compete in a combine,” Wilson said. “It was a great experience and it showed me where I stand as an athlete.”
Wilson was pleased with his performance in the combine that involved four stations of drills.
“I gave every drill my all, I hope it will help get my name out there and hopefully I can get an offer,” Wilson said.
Wilson is hoping to improve his speed and quickness after experiencing the combine and thought he did especially well in the “L drill.”
“It was great, I felt like I learned a lot from the drills I did,” said McDonald. “I did good in the drills, but there is always room for improvement. I felt like I had good speed and also good footing in the “L drill.”
This was the second combine for McDonald, as he attended one in Oxford last year.
“I need to get stronger with the weights and get faster, that’s always a plus when playing football,” McDonald said.
“It’s a way to show your skills to the coaches and to get your name out there for them,” McDonald said.
There were 158 athletes who attended the combine as players came from across north Mississippi to participate, the largest turnout recorded for the annual event.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...