New Haven plans to expand
By Angie Barmer
A fundraiser campaign will soon be starting up to raise additional funds needed for the future expansion of New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults.
With 32 clients, New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults has almost reached capacity.
There isn’t enough space for all of the activities that the clients do, to accommodate volunteers, to allow Union County Literacy Council tutors the space to adequately tutor the clients, for all of the clients to eat lunch, and for a variety of other reasons.
Union County Development Association Director Phil Nanney said, “New Haven is in desperate need of additional space, so we plan to expand onto the side of the current building. In this new space, there will be a new kitchen and a new dining room facility and maybe more areas as well. By adding more space, this will also allow for more clients to be able to come here.”
The clients at New Haven attend school on a weekday basis and attend various events throughout the year in New Albany, while also expanding their creativity with arts, crafts and educational projects at New Haven. They are on the same school calendar that the city and county school districts are on.
“The school was established on May 8, 1961 as a school that would provide services for special needs children because special education was not included in public education,” New Haven Director Collett Cross said. “The school was named New Haven because it did indeed provide a safe environment for a vulnerable population.”
There isn’t a definite amount yet as to what the construction will cost to build the expanded area.
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...