Cotton States season begins May 31
The Nolan Brothers Cotton States League is excited about beginning their sixth season with their Opening Day ceremonies scheduled for May 31st at 1:00 pm at BNA Bank Park in New Albany.
Almost 150 players applied to play in this collegiate wood bat league. The annual draft was held Monday, May 12 and players were selected by the six Cotton States teams from 8 different states, representing 45 junior and senior colleges and universities. Players from college teams still competing in regionals, etc. will be added later as they complete their seasons. Malik Mayweather, a two sport athlete from the University of Miami, Danny Springer from the University of Louisiana-Monroe, and Ethan Gill, David West, and Brandon Cummins from Delta State are but a few of the notables who will be competing this summer.
The coaches of the six teams for 2014 include Buddy Hall (Tupelo Thunder), Andy Dillard (Tallahatchie Rascals), Greg Bates (Tippah Tribe), Cody White (Hill Country Generals), Jeff King (North Delta Dealers), and Luke Hargett (Golden Triangle Jets).
“The league just keeps getting better,” stated CSBL Commissioner Sam Creekmore. “We have great sponsors and great facilities which allows us to attract some of the best coaches and players around. And to us, it is all about seeing the players come in, have a positive experience, and to grow as players as they continue on their baseball journey,” he added.
All games are played in New Albany with games scheduled for Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday each week. Admission is $5 and kids 9 and under get in free. The Game of the week can also be heard on ESPN Radio, 96.3 fm on Sunday afternoons with Gary Darby providing play-by-play. For more information, please visit their website at www.cottonstatesleague.com.
submitted by Frank Dodds
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...