United Way distribution
The United Way of Northeast Mississippi has announced its 2014 distribution of funds to agencies that serve Union County and it is not good news.
The $60,525 being distributed in 2014 to 24 agencies is down more than 20 percent from the $77,405 distributed to 30 agencies in the current year.
Robin Matkin, campaign and communications associate for United Way, said several factors contributed to the reduction, including layoffs and plant closures in the area.
One large employer also did not make the deadline in time for its giving to be included in this year’s allocation.
Although the overall campaign met its $2.4 million goal, the amount of money available for distribution in Union County is based on money contributed locally.
The largest benefactors of the distribution in 2014 are Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $15,000 ($17,000 last year), the Boys & Girls Club with $10,000 ($17,000 last year), New Haven Center $9,000 ($9,500 last year) and Agape Health Services free clinic with $8,500 (a new agency). Twenty other agencies shared the rest.
A committee of Union County residents interviews the agencies and gathers information to make the funding decisions.
Perhaps next year will be better for the agencies that serve Union County.
As we’ve said before, it depends on giving, and contribution levels are not high for a county of this size.
It is what it is.
About New Albany Gazette
- UPDATE: Gazette moving to new location today April 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...