United Way distribution
The United Way of Northeast Mississippi has announced its 2014 distribution of funds to agencies that serve Union County and it is not good news.
The $60,525 being distributed in 2014 to 24 agencies is down more than 20 percent from the $77,405 distributed to 30 agencies in the current year.
Robin Matkin, campaign and communications associate for United Way, said several factors contributed to the reduction, including layoffs and plant closures in the area.
One large employer also did not make the deadline in time for its giving to be included in this year’s allocation.
Although the overall campaign met its $2.4 million goal, the amount of money available for distribution in Union County is based on money contributed locally.
The largest benefactors of the distribution in 2014 are Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $15,000 ($17,000 last year), the Boys & Girls Club with $10,000 ($17,000 last year), New Haven Center $9,000 ($9,500 last year) and Agape Health Services free clinic with $8,500 (a new agency). Twenty other agencies shared the rest.
A committee of Union County residents interviews the agencies and gathers information to make the funding decisions.
Perhaps next year will be better for the agencies that serve Union County.
As we’ve said before, it depends on giving, and contribution levels are not high for a county of this size.
It is what it is.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...