Baldwyn defeats East Union in division contest
By Dennis Clayton
ELLISTOWN – Baldwyn took the early lead against East Union and then followed with a big third inning to decide the division game played Tuesday at East Union. Baldwyn pounded out 12 hits and took advantage of four East Union errors to post the win.
“We didn’t play well and they played great,” East Union coach Chris Basil said. “That’s baseball, it was a snowball effect and that’s part of it. You don’t like it, but that’s the reason that you love this game. Every day is different.”
Baldwyn opened the game by putting the first three batters aboard and later driving them home on a fielder’s choice, RBI single and ground out to take the early 3-0 lead. East Union closed the score to 3-2 as Zane Wilkinson doubled and scored on Tray Davis’ RBI single while Jacob Elder walked and later scored on a passed ball.
Baldwyn added two more runs in the top of the second to push the score to 5-2. East Union failed to score in their half of the inning.
The top of the third inning was the decisive at-bat for Baldwyn as they sent 16 batters to the plate while scoring 10 runs. Baldwyn collected seven hits during the inning and also got runners aboard by three walks, two hit-batters and one error.
East Union closed the scoring for the game in the bottom half of the third as Tray Davis doubled to start the inning. Davis moved to third on Dakota Edwards’ single and scored on Lane Plunk’s fielder’s choice to make the score 15-3.
East Union will play Baldwyn again at Baldwyn on Friday night. “I like this format (playing teams the same week) because they cannot throw their best pitcher again and dominate a series,” Basil said.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...