By Dennis Clayton
NEW ALBANY – New Albany faced their second Class 6A team on the season and came away with a 4-3 win over Starkville on Tuesday. New Albany’s doubles teams came through in a huge way as they won three of their five matches.
Mark Robbins of New Albany won the boys singles match over Michael Godly 6-0, 6-1, which got the team off to a good start. In girls singles, Darby Mills of New Albany was defeated by Emily Turner 6-0, 6-0.
New Albany swept the boys doubles as Trace Thompson and Drew Shands defeated Richard Hill and Will Irvin 6-2, 6-4 while Parker Nail and Michael Crotts defeated Daniel Luck and Kelson Bohna 6-0, 6-2.
New Albany split with Starkville in the girls doubles as Hannah Anderson and Quinshay Perkins (NA) defeated Hannah Laird and Courtney Wilson 7-5, 3-6 (10-4). The number one girls court clinched the match in the tie-breaker and gave New Albany the team win. Katie Davis and Meghan Van (NA) were defeated by April Reese and Courtney Cohen 6-4, 6-2.
The mixed doubles match was won by Starkville’s Wes Albritton and Alex Mazzola over Morris Kelly Clayton and Roberto Valadez 6-7. 6-3 (10-7) in a tightly contested final match of the day, that was decided in a tie-breaker.
“Mark Robbins won his match handily,” New Albany coach Warner Creekmore said. “The boys doubles courts were overall good match-ups. The players did well overall after being off for the break. They were a little timid at executing their shots and made a number of unforced errors. I was proud of their win over the 6A Starkville team.”
New Albany is now 1-1 on the season and will meet Ripley in a division match on Thursday at BNA Bank Park.
New Albany tops Starkville in tennis
By Dennis Clayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...