East Union drops division game to Hatley
By Dennis Clayton
ELLISTOWN – East Union was hoping to even their division record with a win against Hatley, but the middle innings spelled trouble for them as Hatley won 10-4 on Thursday.
“Mental mistakes, from missed signs to getting the first out at third, to taking bats out of the hands of our big hitters when we don’t have to run and the wheels fall off when things like that happen and it snowballs,” East Union coach Josh Blythe said.
East Union was holding their own against Hatley until the third inning and that was when things began to deteriorate both defensively and offensively. On the defensive end the Lady Urchins had some misplayed balls and throws to the wrong base to hurt them. Offensively, as Blythe pointed out, East Union had some opportunities, but couldn’t convert.
Hatley scored nine runs in the middle innings while East Union scored two. East Union was able to put runners on base, but could not translate them into runs.
East Union’s biggest threat in the game came during the fourth inning as they trailed 6-0. East Union scored a run on an error which was followed a Katey Hunt RBI single. East Union tried to score the runner from second on the hit as well, but the Hatley leftfielder threw out the runner at home. East Union had another batter to reach, but the inning ended as a sharply hit grounder bounced off the first baseman and was picked up by the second baseman who threw out the runner at first to end the inning.
East Union scored their final two runs in the seventh inning to close the scoring for the game.
“Maybe some good things will happen for us this weekend at the county tournament and then we’ll get back into division play next week,” Blythe said. East Union’s record is 4-4 and 0-2 for the year.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...