The recent incident involving the statue of James Meredith at the University of Mississippi has again cast the university and our state in a negative national light.
It is unfortunate that the Feb. 16 incident, in which a noose was placed around the statue’s neck and the statue draped by a defunct Georgia flag dominated by the Confederate battle flag, has attracted the national and international attention that it has.
It casts an unwanted shadow over the progressive views the university has adopted under former chancellor Robert Khayat and his successor, Dan Jones.
Three freshmen students from Georgia are believed to be involved in the incident. They have been expelled from their fraternity and the fraternity chapter has been indefinitely suspended by its national headquarters.
We won’t get into the debate about whether state or national laws were broken. That’s up to law enforcement and the courts to decide.
At the least, we think the students are guilty of poor upbringing, and a failure to live up to the university’s code of conduct.
We suggest the university adopt a proactive stance.
We recommend the university, and the other colleges and universities in our state, consider a required rigorous first-year course exploring various races, cultures and religions.
Many of us come from sheltered upbringings. Broadening our knowledge and our horizons is what a university education is all about.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...