McBrayer talks to students about heart health
By Angie Barmer
This February marks the 50th anniversary of American Heart Month, according to the American Heart Association.
The designation is aimed at increasing awareness that heart disease is the nation’s number one killer, claiming more lives than an all forms of cancer combined.
According to the American Heart Association, 80 percent of cardiac events could have been prevented with better health choices, 30 minutes of cardio per day can help reduce your risk of heart disease, and 64 percent of women die suddenly of coronary heart disease with no previous symptoms.
Crystal McBrayer, community occupational health coordinator with Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, came out to New Albany Elementary School and Union County Schools to speak to third graders about heart health.
“We need to teach our children early on the importance of a healthy lifestyle, such as, including physical activity in your daily routine, eat more of the good foods – fruits, vegetables and whole grains and less of the bad – foods that are high in sodium, trans or saturated fats which will increase their risk of heart disease,” said McBrayer. “Tobacco use will also increase their risk of heart disease. Adults need to be aware of their family history of heart disease as well and talk with their healthcare provider on the findings.”
For more information, visit www.heart.org.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...