East Union students look inside traveling planetarium
By Angie Barmer
Fifth to eighth graders at East Union Attendance Center got the chance to travel to another world and experience life outside our own when a traveling planetarium came to visit the school on Friday.
The University of Mississippi Graduate Student Whitney Jackson from The University of Mississippi’s Center for Math and Science Education brought the digital star lab, which is a portable planetarium, to East Union because of a request from Amy Lavanway, a fifth grade science teacher at East Union.
Lavanway wanted Ole Miss to bring this planetarium to the school so her students could take the information they learned in the classroom and relate it in a different way to help them fully understand astronomy.
She said, “I wanted the world of astronomy to be real and concrete for them so they will remember the information for years to come.”
Jackson showed the students the different phases of the moon, patterns of the stars, the Milky Way galaxy, images from Mars, images from the moon, the Earth’s tilt, the Sun, the four seasons, she talked about the Summer and Winter solstice and the Spring and Fall equinox, why the Sun is in a certain part of the sky during different times throughout the year, and the differences between reflection, refraction, and revolution.
Jackson said, “I tailor what I teach the students in the planetarium to what they have been learning in class so they can see what they have already learned in a different way. I love going to different schools and showing the planetarium because the students get so much out of it and learn so much more.”
For more information, contact the University of Mississippi Center for Math and Science Education.
About New Albany Gazette
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...