Position changes with school districts
By Angie Barmer
Effective July 1, 2014, Windy Faulkner, current head principal at New Albany Elementary School, and Jamey Wright, current principal at West Union Attendance Center, will be leaving their positions and moving into different school districts once again.
Faulkner was recently approved to take over Ron Scott’s position at the Union County School District as the assistant superintendent due to retirement and Wright is going to take over Kelly Coltharp’s position as Special Services Director, also due to retirement.
Faulkner said that her ultimate career goal was to become superintendent one day, so she is very pleased to be offered the position as assistant superintendent by Union County School District Superintendent Ken Basil. Nevertheless, she said she knew she needed more experience in her career first.
Faulkner began her career as a teacher at West Union and taught there for three years, before moving on to be the assistant principal at East Union for two years. After that, she was the elementary/assistant principal at Ingomar for three years, and now she has been at NAES for almost two years.
“My plan was to stay at New Albany Elementary School for five years because that gives you enough time to see if you have really made a difference at the school and to see what changes you have accomplished. I will miss all of the people that work here, but the biggest challenge for me will be missing the kids and not being in an environment daily around kids,” said Faulkner. “I am really close with the teachers at NAES – it was really hard to tell them the news. But, the teachers here were very understanding when I took the job offered at Union County, especially because they knew I had wanted to be in that position one day.”
Faulkner said that her responsibilities will be working with curriculum as well as teacher and principal evaluations, but one of her biggest goals will be to visit each of the county schools on a consistent basis and work with the teachers there.
“I want to be the face the teachers see and I want to be the person that they can come to when they have a question or need help with something. I am very excited about this new position and I believe it will be a great challenge for me. I am excited to be back working with Union County and I am excited to be working with Ken Basil – I think we will make a great team,” said Faulkner. “This position will also allow for me to be able to spend more time with my family at home. I had to do what was best for me and my family and I know this was the right decision.”
Ron Scott was Faulkner’s high school principal and Basil was Faulkner’s basketball coach in school.
In addition to Faulkner raising a family and having a professional career, she is also working on her doctorate degree from Delta State University in Education Leadership.
New Albany School Superintendent Jackie Ford said, “Mrs. Faulkner has done an outstanding job as elementary principal. Her new position with Union County Schools is an advancement in her professional career. We will miss her in the New Albany District and wish her the best.”
Ford added, “We welcome Mr. Wright back to the New Albany District as Special Services Director. We believe he will do an outstanding job working with our staff and the special needs students in our district.”
About Lynn West
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...