Appoint top school jobs
The Mississippi House has again blocked an effort to allow voters in school districts with elected superintendents to vote on whether they want to continue that system.
The House defeated 66 to 53 a plan that would have allowed voters to decide whether to have an appointed superintendent hired by the school board. Currently, most city districts have an appointed school board and superintendent and most county systems have elected superintendents and school boards.
Mississippi currently has about 60 elected superintendents, including Ken Basil here in Union County, out of only 145 in the entire country.
We have nothing against Basil. We generally think he has done a quality job in managing our county schools.
But when it’s time to get a superintendent, we don’t think a district should be limited to someone who lives in the district and can raise the money to conduct an election.
This is a professional job and districts should be able to recruit the best man or woman for it, not rely on the luck of the draw on who is the best politician. Often, talented educators don’t want to be politicians.
We are particularly disappointed that our local state representative, Margaret Ellis Rogers of New Albany, joined those in defeating the proposal.
There’s a reason why practically the whole country appoints their school superintendents. We think our state is out of step on yet another important educational issue.
About New Albany Gazette
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer