Myrtle student dies from cardiac arrest
Jaylon Glover is described by his teachers as a ‘great kid’.
The 12-year-old died on Wednesday at Le Bonheur Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn. after going into cardiac arrest and suffering a stroke while playing basketball on Monday afternoon.
Glover had been playing inside the gymnasium at Myrtle Methodist Church when he fainted, Myrtle Attendance Center Principal Nancy Yates said.
Glover was transferred to Baptist Memorial Hospital in New Albany, and a specialist contacted from Le Bonheur to visit. After the consultation, Glover was taken directly to the medical center where he remained admitted at the time of his death.
“They ran several tests and determined he wasn’t showing any brain activity, and found that he had suffered a stroke since being admitted to Le Bonheur,” Yates said.
Glover died sometime between 3 and 4 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon after it was determined he showed no signs of brain activity, Yates said.
“It’s such a tragedy for our school and the entire community. This is one of those awful things that you hope will never happen,” Yates said, “But we ask for prayers for Jaylon’s family, and our school.”
The seventh-grade student was a member of the junior high boys basketball team, and a strong supporter of the Hawks high school team of which his older brother, Jonathan Seales, is a member.
“Jaylon was inside the gym anytime it was open. If there was a game, he was there. If there was a practice, he was there. He was a fun-loving kid who just enjoyed life. He loved basketball, and he loved cheering on the Hawks,” Yates said.
Counseling services will be available for any students, faculty and staff, Yates said.
Glover’s funeral will be held inside the Myrtle gymnasium. A time and date for the service has not been set.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...