Hawks get defensive at home
By Brandon Speck
MYRTLE – The Myrtle boys defended their home court and picked up their 10th win Friday with a 56-50 win against Tremont.
“We played a really good first half I thought, defensively,” first-year Myrtle coach Rob Browning said. “They’re real good.”
First-year Tremont coach Brian Pearson was Browning’s assistant at Amory.
The Hawks (10-4) held Tremont (10-3) to five points in the second quarter and took an 11-point lead to the locker room.
Tremont made a run in the fourth behind its big-man duo of 6-foot-6 Cody North and 6-foot-7 Daniel Sturdivant to cut the lead to 38-35 on Steven Peden’s 3-point play. But Myrtle freshman guard Dee Johnson scored four straight to squash the rally.
Johnson scored 12 of his game-high 24 points in the quarter .
“The first half defensively, other than about two possessions, I thought we had very, very good possessions,” Browning said. “Second half, … they made some adjustments that were tougher for us.”
North (18) and Sturdivant (16) combined for 34 points. Walker Adams added 11 for the Eagles.
Pearson, in his first head coaching season, said Myrtle limited his team’s inside strengths.
“They did a good job defending us,” Pearson said.
(G) Tremont 56, Myrtle 41: Taylor Ladewig and Tori Melson each scored 20 points for Tremont (6-5). Myrtle (1-13) got 18 points from Genisha Montgomery.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...