by Dennis Clayton
As we enter the Christmas season, we experience a bit of a lull in our sports activities with semester exams and the holiday break. This makes you scrape and scour when you attempt to find content for news, but it is good in the sense that one can also take time to look back on Christmases past and also hopefully look forward to Christmas present.
No matter how old you get, it is still hard not to be infected with the enthusiasm of children as they anxiously look forward to Christmas. This Christmas season, we are going to be blessed by the enthusiasm of one particular four-year old as she excitedly awaits and shares Christmas time with us.
We have always had just a boys-only celebration with the exception of my wonderful wife during Christmas at our house and it will be wonderful to have a couple more girls with us so my wife doesn’t go solo again. I have even enjoyed the shopping experience more as we look for items to the liking of little girls.
That’s the major driving force that makes covering sports ever so rewarding. It’s watching, reporting and interviewing our young people as they pursue their dreams and aspirations in the world of athletics. This position has given me back some of the years of my life because this is such a blessing sharing these times with our youth. Some days I feel 10 years younger, I’m not going to push the envelope, that amount will suffice.
Anyway, I just want to take this time to wish our athletes, coaches, administrators, fans and you, our readers, a Merry Christmas! I trust you will enjoy the time with family and friends. Hopefully we will all remember that the blessing comes more in the giving rather than the receiving.
May we all remember the greatest gift that was ever given during this season as well. Matthew 1:23: “Behold the virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Immanuel, which, being interpreted, is God with us.”
Merry Christmas and I pray you all have a blessed New Year!
Follow Dennis Clayton on Twitter: @denclayton
Keeping a perspective on the season
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Arts, Beats & Eats July 30, 2014
- The single life is not for us July 30, 2014
- Work progressing on biodiesel plant August 1, 2014
- Police charge babysitter with child abuse August 1, 2014
- Officers learn how to deal with life-threatening wounds in dangerous situations August 1, 2014
- Neighbor charged with attempted burglary and assault August 1, 2014
- Getting ready for kindergarten August 1, 2014
- NA police getting tough on traffic next week as school readies August 1, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
"Luncheon with Books " Union County Heritage Museum Adam Coleman athletic banquet 2014 Basketball Bay Springs Bobcats Blue Springs Christmas Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league Desoto Xplorers East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Lisa Bogue Martin Luther King Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MLK MS Myrtle Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany Softball News Exchange Tournament Union County West Union Eagles West Union Lady Eagles
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey