by Dennis Clayton
As we enter the Christmas season, we experience a bit of a lull in our sports activities with semester exams and the holiday break. This makes you scrape and scour when you attempt to find content for news, but it is good in the sense that one can also take time to look back on Christmases past and also hopefully look forward to Christmas present.
No matter how old you get, it is still hard not to be infected with the enthusiasm of children as they anxiously look forward to Christmas. This Christmas season, we are going to be blessed by the enthusiasm of one particular four-year old as she excitedly awaits and shares Christmas time with us.
We have always had just a boys-only celebration with the exception of my wonderful wife during Christmas at our house and it will be wonderful to have a couple more girls with us so my wife doesn’t go solo again. I have even enjoyed the shopping experience more as we look for items to the liking of little girls.
That’s the major driving force that makes covering sports ever so rewarding. It’s watching, reporting and interviewing our young people as they pursue their dreams and aspirations in the world of athletics. This position has given me back some of the years of my life because this is such a blessing sharing these times with our youth. Some days I feel 10 years younger, I’m not going to push the envelope, that amount will suffice.
Anyway, I just want to take this time to wish our athletes, coaches, administrators, fans and you, our readers, a Merry Christmas! I trust you will enjoy the time with family and friends. Hopefully we will all remember that the blessing comes more in the giving rather than the receiving.
May we all remember the greatest gift that was ever given during this season as well. Matthew 1:23: “Behold the virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Immanuel, which, being interpreted, is God with us.”
Merry Christmas and I pray you all have a blessed New Year!
Follow Dennis Clayton on Twitter: @denclayton
Keeping a perspective on the season
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County for the New Albany Gazette and also occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams. See you at the games!
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- Sheli McClellan: Love these kids! They're a hard-working bunch wh...
- http://www.sanctuarymusic.ca/: I all the time emailed this webpage post page to a...
- Erik: Hi it's me, I am also visiting this web site regu...
"Luncheon with Books " Union County Heritage Museum Adam Coleman Basketball Blue Springs Christmas East Union Urchins feature featured finances Green Metals Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Martin Luther King Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MLK Myrtle Myrtle Hawks New Albany Bulldogs News Exchange recycle sexual battery Tournament Toyota Union County Union County library West Union Eagles
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 1 year ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 1 year ago
- Thanks Jay! 1 year ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 1 year ago retweeted via MzTrazey