by Dennis Clayton
As we enter the Christmas season, we experience a bit of a lull in our sports activities with semester exams and the holiday break. This makes you scrape and scour when you attempt to find content for news, but it is good in the sense that one can also take time to look back on Christmases past and also hopefully look forward to Christmas present.
No matter how old you get, it is still hard not to be infected with the enthusiasm of children as they anxiously look forward to Christmas. This Christmas season, we are going to be blessed by the enthusiasm of one particular four-year old as she excitedly awaits and shares Christmas time with us.
We have always had just a boys-only celebration with the exception of my wonderful wife during Christmas at our house and it will be wonderful to have a couple more girls with us so my wife doesn’t go solo again. I have even enjoyed the shopping experience more as we look for items to the liking of little girls.
That’s the major driving force that makes covering sports ever so rewarding. It’s watching, reporting and interviewing our young people as they pursue their dreams and aspirations in the world of athletics. This position has given me back some of the years of my life because this is such a blessing sharing these times with our youth. Some days I feel 10 years younger, I’m not going to push the envelope, that amount will suffice.
Anyway, I just want to take this time to wish our athletes, coaches, administrators, fans and you, our readers, a Merry Christmas! I trust you will enjoy the time with family and friends. Hopefully we will all remember that the blessing comes more in the giving rather than the receiving.
May we all remember the greatest gift that was ever given during this season as well. Matthew 1:23: “Behold the virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Immanuel, which, being interpreted, is God with us.”
Merry Christmas and I pray you all have a blessed New Year!
Follow Dennis Clayton on Twitter: @denclayton
Keeping a perspective on the season
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- Not your father’s phone company October 7, 2015
- Honoring Vance Witt October 7, 2015
- Lady Urchins sweep and finish perfect in division October 8, 2015
- Urchins travel to Mantachie for key division contest October 8, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs route Byhalia for first division win October 10, 2015
- Community Health Fair October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act to restrict limit downtown parking, yard sales October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act on several items but subdivision, sign, metal siding ordinances still not settled October 9, 2015
- Hospital ‘Tree of Love’ offers opportunity to honor others and help patients October 9, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs sports Union County Union County Softball Union County sports West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs route Byhalia for first division win
- Community Health Fair
- Aldermen act to restrict limit downtown parking, yard sales
- Aldermen act on several items but subdivision, sign, metal siding ordinances still not settled
- Hospital ‘Tree of Love’ offers opportunity to honor others and help patients
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on