by Dennis Clayton
As we enter the Christmas season, we experience a bit of a lull in our sports activities with semester exams and the holiday break. This makes you scrape and scour when you attempt to find content for news, but it is good in the sense that one can also take time to look back on Christmases past and also hopefully look forward to Christmas present.
No matter how old you get, it is still hard not to be infected with the enthusiasm of children as they anxiously look forward to Christmas. This Christmas season, we are going to be blessed by the enthusiasm of one particular four-year old as she excitedly awaits and shares Christmas time with us.
We have always had just a boys-only celebration with the exception of my wonderful wife during Christmas at our house and it will be wonderful to have a couple more girls with us so my wife doesn’t go solo again. I have even enjoyed the shopping experience more as we look for items to the liking of little girls.
That’s the major driving force that makes covering sports ever so rewarding. It’s watching, reporting and interviewing our young people as they pursue their dreams and aspirations in the world of athletics. This position has given me back some of the years of my life because this is such a blessing sharing these times with our youth. Some days I feel 10 years younger, I’m not going to push the envelope, that amount will suffice.
Anyway, I just want to take this time to wish our athletes, coaches, administrators, fans and you, our readers, a Merry Christmas! I trust you will enjoy the time with family and friends. Hopefully we will all remember that the blessing comes more in the giving rather than the receiving.
May we all remember the greatest gift that was ever given during this season as well. Matthew 1:23: “Behold the virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Immanuel, which, being interpreted, is God with us.”
Merry Christmas and I pray you all have a blessed New Year!
Follow Dennis Clayton on Twitter: @denclayton
Keeping a perspective on the season
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Incumbent Mahon qualifies in county school board race August 20, 2014
- Barretos to be brought back later this week August 20, 2014
- Football, food and a magazine August 20, 2014
- Campaign kicks off August 15, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Area teams play in West Union classic preseason tournament August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
"Luncheon with Books " Union County Heritage Museum athletic banquet 2014 Basketball Bay Springs Bobcats Blue Springs Christmas Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league Desoto Xplorers East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Lisa Bogue Martin Luther King Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MLK MS Myrtle Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany Softball Tournament Union County West Union Eagles West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?