By Dennis Clayton
The finish to the Alabama-Auburn game will go down in history as one of the most memorable and dramatic in history. Who would have thought when the Crimson Tide lined up for the field goal that the end result would be a 100-yard touchdown return for Auburn? (Actually Chris Davis caught the ball nine yards deep in the end zone, but the NCAA doesn’t count end-zone yardage) Davis commented, “I knew when I caught the ball I would have room to run.” How about 109 yards, Chris?
It was the end of a frustrating day for Alabama special teams, as they missed a total of four field goals. If only one of the previous three field goal attempts had been successful, this crazy finish would never have happened.
This was the second wild finish for Auburn. The Tigers had earlier defeated Georgia on a deflected 73-yard pass that was thrown on a wing and a prayer. The ball bounced off a Georgia player and over the shoulder and into the hands of Ricardo Louis to complete that cardiac comeback.
The 100-yard return by Davis on Saturday was only the fourth time in NCAA history that a missed field goal was returned 100 yards for a touchdown. LSU’s Odell Beckham Jr. returned one against UAB last season. However the stakes were much higher in this game than LSU-UAB.
The return overshadowed a 99-yard touchdown pass from AJ McCarron to Amari Cooper, which ties another record, but it wasn’t enough on this day. Many people have since forgotten about that outstanding play which might have been the play of the game until the return by Davis.
If you haven’t seen the return by now, you must have been out of the country or absolutely detest sports, because it has been all over television and the social media. It will be remembered by the Alabama-Auburn faithful for generations.
Many times in previewing games, special teams get overlooked. We have seen over and over this season in high school and college, that special teams play can make or break you. I have watched many games from the sidelines and on TV and the outcome came down to special teams.
So in closing, no matter how good your quarterback, running back or defense may be, sometimes the outcome comes down to your special teams. That’s why it’s a team sport; it takes everyone doing their job to win the game.
Follow Dennis Clayton on Twitter: @denclayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Myrtle’s sixth ‘Music at the Tracks’ coming April 18 March 25, 2015
- Candidates reminded to not illegally place campaign signs April 1, 2015
- Thirteen vying for congressional seat left vacant by Nunnelee death April 1, 2015
- Myrtle man dies in head-on collision near Okolona April 1, 2015
- Stations of the Church marked on Palm Sunday April 1, 2015
- Campaign signage April 1, 2015
- Procrastination and garage doors April 1, 2015
- Legislature includes $175,000 in bond bill for city April 1, 2015
- ‘Down From the Hills’ music festival, bluegrass championship moving to park this year April 1, 2015
- Spring is here April 1, 2015
- Sahil Mehra: 500,000 cars produce is incredible by Toyota. Futu...
- Linda Mumaw Douglas: I bought two old Futorian chairs several years ago...
- Edward Straker: Everyone needs to understand child porn as the law...
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
Blue Springs Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs Union County West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball