by Tyler McCollum
If you were unable to make it to Ingomar this past weekend, you missed some great basketball games. The Falcons hosted their annual Ingomar Tournament on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was a round robin format, meaning each team got a chance to play the other. On Thursday night, both Falcon teams took on Coffeeville. With the help of Mallory Russell who scored 20 and Lauren Thompson who scored 12, the Lady Falcons had no trouble putting away the Lady Pirates 59-49. The boys game wasn’t such an easy task for the Falcons. Coffeeville was able to hang with the Falcons all the way to the end, but with the Falcons having 3 players in double digits, LaQuain Foster with 20, Matt Hale with 19, and Sam Cobb with 14, they were able to get the win 67-60.
On Friday night, Pontotoc would be the opponent for the Ingomar teams. It was an uphill battle the whole game for the Lady Falcons. The Lady Warriors came close to breaking a three-point shooting record the night before, and their hot hand continued into this game. After the first quarter, Pontotoc was up 24-4. The Lady Falcons did all they could, but were unable to stop the 4A Lady Warrior rally as Pontotoc went on to win 68-20. On the boys side, not much was different. Pontotoc was very quick, very athletic and had much more depth than the Falcons. After a really hard match-up the night before, Ingomar’s tank was running low and they were defeated 82-55.
On the final night of the tournament, H.W. Byers would get their shot at Ingomar. The girls game started off slow for both sides. With a score of only 8-4 after the first quarter, it was really anybody’s game. The Lady Lions turned up the heat for the next three quarters. H.W. Byers would go on to score 50 more points the remainder of the game to Ingomar’s 24. No one for Ingomar had double digits, the high scorers were Mallory Russell with eight and Sydney Roberts with seven. For the boys, this was the game to see. It was a literal fight to the end. Both teams matched each other in scoring. Ingomar was able to get the win with the help of Kelton Hall with 19, LaQuain Foster with 16, and Matt Hale and Joseph Broom both with 12.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
east union East Union baseball East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured ingomar Ingomar Baseball Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany soccer New Albany Softball sports Union County union county prep sports Union County Softball Union County sports West Union West Union Baseball West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball