by Tyler McCollum
If you were unable to make it to Ingomar this past weekend, you missed some great basketball games. The Falcons hosted their annual Ingomar Tournament on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was a round robin format, meaning each team got a chance to play the other. On Thursday night, both Falcon teams took on Coffeeville. With the help of Mallory Russell who scored 20 and Lauren Thompson who scored 12, the Lady Falcons had no trouble putting away the Lady Pirates 59-49. The boys game wasn’t such an easy task for the Falcons. Coffeeville was able to hang with the Falcons all the way to the end, but with the Falcons having 3 players in double digits, LaQuain Foster with 20, Matt Hale with 19, and Sam Cobb with 14, they were able to get the win 67-60.
On Friday night, Pontotoc would be the opponent for the Ingomar teams. It was an uphill battle the whole game for the Lady Falcons. The Lady Warriors came close to breaking a three-point shooting record the night before, and their hot hand continued into this game. After the first quarter, Pontotoc was up 24-4. The Lady Falcons did all they could, but were unable to stop the 4A Lady Warrior rally as Pontotoc went on to win 68-20. On the boys side, not much was different. Pontotoc was very quick, very athletic and had much more depth than the Falcons. After a really hard match-up the night before, Ingomar’s tank was running low and they were defeated 82-55.
On the final night of the tournament, H.W. Byers would get their shot at Ingomar. The girls game started off slow for both sides. With a score of only 8-4 after the first quarter, it was really anybody’s game. The Lady Lions turned up the heat for the next three quarters. H.W. Byers would go on to score 50 more points the remainder of the game to Ingomar’s 24. No one for Ingomar had double digits, the high scorers were Mallory Russell with eight and Sydney Roberts with seven. For the boys, this was the game to see. It was a literal fight to the end. Both teams matched each other in scoring. Ingomar was able to get the win with the help of Kelton Hall with 19, LaQuain Foster with 16, and Matt Hale and Joseph Broom both with 12.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...
"Luncheon with Books athletic banquet 2014 Bay Springs Bobcats Blue Springs Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league Desoto Xplorers east union East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights high school football Hotbed Classic Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Lisa Bogue Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany Softball New Albany Volleyball Union County West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball