by Tyler McCollum
If you were unable to make it to Ingomar this past weekend, you missed some great basketball games. The Falcons hosted their annual Ingomar Tournament on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was a round robin format, meaning each team got a chance to play the other. On Thursday night, both Falcon teams took on Coffeeville. With the help of Mallory Russell who scored 20 and Lauren Thompson who scored 12, the Lady Falcons had no trouble putting away the Lady Pirates 59-49. The boys game wasn’t such an easy task for the Falcons. Coffeeville was able to hang with the Falcons all the way to the end, but with the Falcons having 3 players in double digits, LaQuain Foster with 20, Matt Hale with 19, and Sam Cobb with 14, they were able to get the win 67-60.
On Friday night, Pontotoc would be the opponent for the Ingomar teams. It was an uphill battle the whole game for the Lady Falcons. The Lady Warriors came close to breaking a three-point shooting record the night before, and their hot hand continued into this game. After the first quarter, Pontotoc was up 24-4. The Lady Falcons did all they could, but were unable to stop the 4A Lady Warrior rally as Pontotoc went on to win 68-20. On the boys side, not much was different. Pontotoc was very quick, very athletic and had much more depth than the Falcons. After a really hard match-up the night before, Ingomar’s tank was running low and they were defeated 82-55.
On the final night of the tournament, H.W. Byers would get their shot at Ingomar. The girls game started off slow for both sides. With a score of only 8-4 after the first quarter, it was really anybody’s game. The Lady Lions turned up the heat for the next three quarters. H.W. Byers would go on to score 50 more points the remainder of the game to Ingomar’s 24. No one for Ingomar had double digits, the high scorers were Mallory Russell with eight and Sydney Roberts with seven. For the boys, this was the game to see. It was a literal fight to the end. Both teams matched each other in scoring. Ingomar was able to get the win with the help of Kelton Hall with 19, LaQuain Foster with 16, and Matt Hale and Joseph Broom both with 12.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
Blue Springs Coaching Changes cotton states baseball league cotton states high school league east union East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins feature featured friday night lights Hickory Flat Basketball Hickory Flat High School Hickory Flat Rebels Hotbed Classic Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Board of Aldermen New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs Union County West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball