City adjusts Sunday liquor law
New Albany’s Board of Aldermen voted to adjust its ordinance regarding Sunday liquor sales to fall more in line with state law.
The 3-2 vote was to amend the hours of Sunday sales to fit with state standards. According to City Attorney Reagan Russell, the change was not necessary, because state law takes precedent over the local ordinance, but it was wise to have the city’s regulations agree with the state’s to decrease any confusion.
The state law, as set by the Alcoholic Beverage Commission, allows for liquor to be sold at restaurants from 1 p.m. to midnight on Sundays.
Aldermen Johnny Anderson and Will Tucker voted against the measure.
Tourism and Marketing Director Sean Johnson was on hand at the meeting to share the results of the Tallahatchie Zombie Run, held Oct. 26.
According to Johnson, the event had more than 300 people register for the event, including visitors from other municipalities, such as Tupelo, Amory and Oxford. He said ticket sales for the event reached $5,000.
Regarding New Albany’s recent application to be one of the first cities in Mississippi to receive high-speed fiber Internet service from C-Spire, Johnson said while the city was not one of the finalists for the first phase, the company’s president told him that New Albany would probably be involved in its second phase of the project.
In other business, the board appointed Mike Armstrong, the city’s building inspector and zoning administrator to serve as the city’s Americans with Disability Act coordinator. As part of the role, Armstrong will make sure that city buildings meet handicapped access requirements.
The board also accepted a resignation from Kenny Gregory from the city-county airport board of directors. New Albany Mayor Tim Kent said that the airport board needs to recommend a new appointment before further action is taken.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...