Urchins reach within and rally past Lions
by Dennis Clayton
Coach Scott Duley’s East Union Urchins showed their grit, determination and heart as they rallied from a 34-21 deficit and scored two fourth quarter touchdowns to win 35-34. Coach Duley said “They (Urchins) played an amazing game. They didn’t quit, we just played a team that was more athletic than us and our defense never quit and our offense never quit. I can’t say enough about our players because they were the ones telling me that we can do this, we can do this.”
And they did it. The Urchins hung around despite four turnovers and were helped themselves by a fourth down gamble by Byers. Facing a fourth and four at their own 19, the Lions lined up in punt formation with a less than three minutes remaining. Instead of punting, the Lions attempted a fake on a short running play which was snuffed out by the Urchin defense resulting in East Union taking over on downs. East Union took possession with 2:12 left and the score standing at 34-29. East Union drove 18 yards in four plays, with Blake Spruill rushing every play. Spruill capped the red zone drive with a 3-yard touchdown with 0:29 left to put the Urchins on top for good at 35-34.
Unofficially, Spruill had 205 yards on 38 carries with three touchdowns, 2-two point coversions and one PAT. Quarterback D.J. Armstrong was 5-10 passing for 99 yards and two touchdowns. Both touchdown passes were to Lane Plunk who recorded three catches for 75 yards.
Coach Duley said “We’ve got some things we need to clean up on offense with the four turnovers, three of those were on miscommunicated calls and I have to share responsibility in that, but I’m really proud of our young men, really proud of our program.”
East Union will host Eupora next Friday night. Eupora defeated South Delta 34-14.
More on the East Union win, plus a preview of the East Union/Eupora match-up in Thursday’s News Exchange.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
east union East Union baseball East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured ingomar Ingomar Baseball Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany soccer New Albany Softball sports Union County union county prep sports Union County Softball Union County sports West Union West Union Baseball West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer