Robert Newsum, 99
Robert Gates “Bob” Newsum Jr., 99, of Cairo, died Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013, in Shreveport, La.
He was the oldest member of Cairo Baptist Church and a retired school bus driver with Itawamba Community College. He was a World War II Air Force veteran and was recognized last year at the Veterans Day program as the oldest Pontotoc County veteran in attendance. He was an avid Ole Miss football fan, enjoyed watching westerns, building things, gardening and growing roses and drinking coffee at the Huddle House.
Services were at 1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1, at Cairo Baptist Church with the Rev. Milton Koon officiating. Burial was in the Ecru Cemetery. Browning Funeral Home in Pontotoc was in charge of the arrangements.
Survivors include his son-in-law, Randell Koon of Ripley; three sisters, Eva Bailey (Bill) of Cairo, Vaneta Dowdy (Melvin) of Cairo and Dola Rorie of Tupelo; one sister-in-law, Audrey Newsum of Perkinston; three grandchildren, Jennifer Newsum Sims (Brian) of Toccopola, Melissa Koon of Shreveport, La., and Greg Newsum (Amanda) of New Albany; and seven great-grandchildren, Robert Yuriy Boudreaux, Bradley “Bobs” Boudreaux, Joshua Newsum, Megan Newsum, Andrew Newsum, Kendall Harrington and Evan Sims.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Robert Gates Newsum Sr., and Resa Gates; his wife, Doris Newsum; a daughter, Glenda Newsum Koon; a son, Johnny Newsum; a grandson, Brad Koon; one sister, Hermie Lewis; and three brothers, Travis Newsum, Cody Newsum and Sam Newsum.
Pallbearers were Mike Swords, Tim Holcomb, Billy Bailey, Arthur Koon, Larry Koon and Mar Alshargatis.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to the Koon’s Care Free Clinic, c/o The Peoples Bank, 305 E. Jefferson Street, Ripley, MS 38663.
Condolences may be offered at www.browningpontotoc.com.
About New Albany Gazette
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...